GIAC Exams

<<

d3l0n

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:52 am

GIAC Exams

I would like to ask those who took GIAC certificate exams, about the difference between the practice exams and the real exam? I know the practice exam will prepare you for the real exam and give you a chance to see the areas you need to work on, but can one expect to see some questions in the real exam already she/he saw in the practice exam? Is there a big difference between the two? If one passed both practice exams what are the chances she/he will pass the real exam?

Thank you,

-D
<<

geekyone

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:47 am

Re: GIAC Exams

So far I have taken two GIAC exams.  On both exams I scored within 2%-5% of what I had previously scored on the practice exams.  The practice exams cover all of the same material as the real exams and they have a similar structure.  I never ran into any questions that were EXACTLY the same from the practice tests but quite a few looked very familiar.  I thought the practice tests were well worth the money.  Of course getting the two freebies with a challenge is just great!  I hope that answers your questions and good luck!
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA
<<

venom77

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:25 am

I'll agree with that. The practice exams certainly covered the same material you need to know for the actual exam, but I don't think there were any exact duplicates from practice to actual. I did find the actual exam to be slightly more challenging (a bit more in-depth) than the practice exam.
<<

vijay2

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:49 am

I tend to agree with BillV, I have found real exams a bit tougher than the practice test. But I have never encountered any question which was exactly similar to the in both exams.

VJ
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+
<<

d3l0n

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:11 am

Thank you so much geekyone, BillV, and vijay2 that helps.

BillV, vijay2, do you guys think if you passed the practice you will pass the actual test too?

vijay2, I'm preparing for taking the exam you passed short while ago, the GPEH. It will be my first GIAC exam.
<<

venom77

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:40 pm

I haven't taken enough GIAC exams to give you a good answer on that (I've only done 1 - and only did 1 practice). In my experience, I would guess that if you scored above a 85-90% in the practice exams, you'll probably pass the actual test. Though I'm sure there are probably people out there that did just that and did not pass the real test.

What I can tell you is that I had plenty of time. I think I finished my exam in maybe 2-2.5 hours. The only thing I didn't do on this test compared to others I've taken is go back through all the questions again.

The cool thing about GIAC exams (I've yet to see others that do this), is that they grade you as you go and it's visible. So there's a sidebar that shows how many you have right and how many you have wrong. As long as you know that you need x of y questions correct to pass, you'll know when you've passed or the threshold of questions you can get wrong before failing.
<<

geekyone

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:50 pm

I also agree with BillV and vijay2 the actual exam is a bit more challenging then the practice.
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA
<<

vijay2

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:05 am

Also, please remember that GIAC exams are open book and you can carry all yr course material and any written notes with you. But, beware dont bank on the open book part, you should be able to get at aleast 50% of the questions without looking in the book or you will run out of time.

As far as GPEN goes it a bit more challenging than others. All the best !!

VJ
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+
<<

funkybunch78

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:44 pm

D -

I just finished taking my GCIH exam. I took both practice tests and I found them a tad bit easier than the actual exam. I didn't see any questions that were exactly the same but the practice exams did really help me get into the right frame of mind for taking the exam and gave me an idea of what type of questions to expect. One suggestion I would like to throw out is, if you haven't already created an index of key ideas/tools, I would highly suggest that you create one and review it. It will help enforce the material and will also help you remember where things are in all of those books!  I also agree with Bill if you are scoring a 85 - 90 on the practice exams you shouldn't have any problems at all passing the exam.

Good Luck!
<<

apollo

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:34 pm

I think that funkybunch78 is spot on.  When I took my last test, I created my indexes to prepare for the sample test, and preparing the indexes made me review everything.  I used the practice tests to figure out where my weak areas were, and most importantly, where my indexes were weak.  Going back through all of the areas where my index were weak made me review the information a second time, which I think left me very prepared for the test itself.  Between the review and the indexes, I finished in about an hour and 15 mins and I found that the areas that I didn't have to go back to the book very frequently at all because the creation of the indexes had kept so much stuff fresh. 
CISSP, CSSLP, MCSE+Security, MCTS, CCSP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCWN, NOP, OSCP, Security+
<<

d3l0n

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:14 pm

Thanks a lot guys, very helpful tips indeed. I started making my own index, which I think is a very good idea in the preparation for the exam.

Return to General Certification