i know yall are going to hate me for this...but...

<<

brilloboy66

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:46 pm

i know yall are going to hate me for this...but...

ok, so im tired of dicking off with my life.  and i love messing around with computers and love comp security.  so how does this game plan sound?  and before you say it, i know it will take many years to complete but i just want to know if it seems like the correct path to take.

heres what im thinking:  a+, net+, (maybe ccna), sec+, and then in to something like CEH or GPEN...  does that sound like a plan?

also, ive seen and read some things about CEH and it seem weak...so should i still take it just to get my "feet wet" so to speak?  could/should i get CEH and then GPEN?  what is the uber highest, most bad ass security/pentest cert to get?

any help would be wonderful! 
keep it real!  and thanks again!!
brillo

PS, i know im going to get asked this too.  the end to this will hopefully be a pentester or some sort of high level of comp security.  i dont really care to sit and admin networks my whole life. i would much rather find out whats going on, whats going wrong, how to stop it, and how to fix it...and maybe take over the world!!!  jk...or am i?
<<

morpheus063

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:39 am

Re: i know yall are going to hate me for this...but...

Hey brilloboy66,

Welcome onboard EH-Net.

Yes you can start off with a+, n+, CCNA, sec+ and some MS Cert also will help you to get into the Security field. Once you have the base certifications, get into Core Security domain. CEH can be used as an entry level cert to start off. GPEN is also nice. Well as far as the highest cert - there will be lot of opinion. I think you can aim for CISSP when it comes to Security Management.

There are many similar threads / posts here, just go through them and you will get a clear picture of what you looking for.

All the best.

-M-
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

brilloboy66

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:51 pm

pimpin!  thanks a ton
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:08 am

There is no really clear picture as we all have our own oppinion to what really matters. The certs you planned to start with tough are a good way to get going. Take your time, ask questions, and be willing to learn from whatever source comes your way will also help. Good luck.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH

Return to General Certification