best associations to be a member of?

<<

hiddenillusion

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:26 pm

best associations to be a member of?

I'm already a member of ISSA.. just wondering if anyone else had some input on other information security related organizations.
GCIH, ACE, OSCP, CCNA, CEH, CHFI, Security+
<<

unicityd

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: best associations to be a member of?

USENIX is great.  It publishes a good technical magazine called ;login: six times a year and puts on some awesome conferences including USENIX Security and LISA.  Membership is a little over $100 a year unless you're a student and gets you reduced admission to their conferences.  Check out their site: http://www.usenix.org .  Issues of ;login: that are more than a year old are free.  The December issue each year is dedicated to security.
BS in IT, CISSP, MS in IS Management (in progress)
<<

jason

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:24 pm

I'd throw IEEE in there as well. They have several conferences that are security related which you could attend and/or get published proceedings from, and also have a publication called IEEE Security & Privacy that is generally very good.
<<

sethmisenar

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:39 am

I'd definitely look for those organizations that have a strong local chapter in your area.  If OWASP has a chapter in your area (and you have an interest in web) then definitely check them out.  Depending on your background, you could also check out Infragard (it always feels like I am misspelling that) to bolster some strong relationships with law enforcement.

I'm based in Mississippi, so not much in the way of local chapters around here, but I would definitely check these out if they were available.

Seth
GSE, CASP, CISSP, GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GCWN, GCFA, MCSE

Return to Other