Windows Home Server - Up and Running

<<

dalepearson

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:59 am

Windows Home Server - Up and Running

I know BillV made a post about this back in August 08, but I thought it would be best to make a new post.

I tried the original release of this, and it was abit flaky, but a good concept.
Since the PowerPack 1 release, I have not got a 120 day eval, and I have been running it about a week, and I have to say I think Microsoft have come up with a really good product for the home.

It takes daily backups of all the windows machines on the network, I can then do individual file restores, or in the event of a HD failure, and complete image restore to a machine over the network, it really does work well.

It doesnt support RAID, but uses its own version called drive externder, to create duplicate copies of data across HD's. You manage the whole thing from a console, and loads of plugins are available.

Its all based on 2003 server, and I really am impressed with it. Its being released on MSDN soon to, so once its on there I will do a proper setup.

It also does all the streaming of movies, music etc over the network to wireless streaming boxes, PS3, 360 etc. You can also remotely authenticate online and access files from a web interface, and even remote connect to the console if needed.

Not so much a hacking tool or anything, but if you have a home network might be worth a look, as a central storage repository. You can also back up the server shared data to removable storage also.

Oh and I can also connect my Linux boxes seemlessly to access data.

For once I have to say, well done Microsoft. So far so good on this once since the PP1 release.
<<

venom77

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:22 am

Re: Windows Home Server - Up and Running

Cool man, thanks for the info :)

I've also heard good things about this and plan to get one setup at home to play around with at some point too.

BillV
<<

dalepearson

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:01 pm

Lots of info, support and Add-Ins available at this site.
Any questions etc, feel free to ask.

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:48 am

Thanks Dale  :(

Guess I have to go dig this out of the pile of CDs/DVDs I get with the Microsoft Action Pack. I really didn't give it a thought, but since we get the right to use it as part of that package and you feel so strongly about it, guess I have to at least throw it on an old box and kick the tires.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

dalepearson

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:49 am

I think its worth it, especially for those who have a family and a network.
Just centralise everything, and have a backup for when the kids break the computer :)

Return to Other