i need your urgent advice

<<

viruz

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:29 pm

i need your urgent advice

Hi, i am new to this environment and i have seen the post up very useful and great, i used to be a conputer science student in the university years back but i dropped out due to some reasons, i so much love the world of it security and wish to pursue a career in ceh, pen test and many more security fields.

My question is, how do i get started with CEH with my present predicament? i will really appreciate your advices and response.

I am also ready to get self tutorial books on CEH to get started, i need to get a certified and get back on my education track...please advice
<<

NickFnord

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:07 am

Re: i need your urgent advice

Although I don't know the specifics of your current situation, I would like to encourage you to continue with whatever you are interested in regardless of the fact that you don't have a uni degree.  I also don't have a university degree, but that certainly hasn't stopped me from having a successful career as an analyst/programmer.  There's also no reason why you can't go back to uni part time if you wish.

There are heaps of resources on the internet and some pretty damn good books around on any topic.  A lot of people here would recommend the CEH certification as starter.  There are also quite a few good courses around the place - what's your budget? 
<<

viruz

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:15 am

Hello, thanks so much for the advice, i really find it encouraging and pushing me forward, yes i can go back to the uni on part time, and what i best thing now is that i have to get started with CEH first before moving on to others like OSCP, CISSP and others. I downloaded a said to be certified ethical hacking and pen testing tutorial written by BRAD CAUSEY and BOBBY ROGERS, i went through it but did not find it as i expected, it is not a written tutorial but its a video that display words and there is a read out like its economics i'm studying for,  it looks more like an introductory speech to ethical hacking.

I still need assistance on getting a better and more educative ethical hacking and pen testing tutorials so i can get started. Also i will still like to know the career involved with it. I'm curious about getting started.

Thanks for the reply once again and look forward to getting more counselling and advice from you. thanks
<<

KrisTeason

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:34 pm

Viruz, you mean the VTC Ethical Hacking video? I watched the same one, was pretty displeased. Anyway, I'm going to have to second your idea on the OSCP, it's like how  NickFord asked - what's your budget? The OSCP would be the best way to go! it's quite affordable and you get a damn good course that's very hands on. I'm not sure how the OSCP is looked at in the industry, but I think it'd be a perfect start for you for getting some solid background knowledge so you can move onto other certs!
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

viruz

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:17 pm

KrisTeason, you are right it is the VTC videos, i'm gonna delete it right away, not up to my expectations, anyway i already got the VEH Official certified ethical hacker revier guide for exam 312 -50 and also an online tutorial on CEH prep guide Krutz, Ronald and co, its very useful and great, i will have to find the OSCP tutorial also, i love multi tasks so im gonna read all and make sure im well fed with the knowlegde to make me proceed. i find this forum very very useful, thanks all
<<

blackazarro

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:15 pm

Yes definitely check out OSCP. I highly recommend it. This course helped me get a good grasp on a number of popular tools that are featured in the CEH objectives.

This course was one of the reason that led me to successfully obtain the CEH certification.

For additional info, check out the links below:

OffSec 101
OSCP Review
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

viruz

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:48 pm

I really appreciate you guys post and vital response to my question, now i have 2 things in mind, the CEH and the OSCP, but there is something i want to ask again, which one do you guys thing should come first... the CEH first and the OSCP second? or the OSCP first and the CEH second?

Please i need to get to know things fast so i can get started and fully join the world of ethic security.
Viruz
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:57 pm

I think CEH is easier than OSCP. But it depends on how your mind works. If you like to build up then do CEH first then OSCP. Or if you like to frontload your studying, then do OSCP first. After the OSCP, you should find the CEH a breeze. Just don't go in blind, as the CEH tests tools that are not used in OSCP. So be sure to review the material for CEH before taking the exam in either method you choose.

BTW - I think you've gotten a great response and very timely. Asking for it to be "fast" may be offputting to those who have been already. Just a little advice.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

viruz

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Yea Don, i second what you said and on the advice, its been great, i will have  to do the CEH first before the OSCP, which other materials do i need apart from the tutorial books, i got the Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide: Exam 312-50 by Kimberly Graves  and also, The CEH Prep Guide: The Comprehensive Guide to Certified Ethical Hacking by Ronald L. Krutz. Which other material do you consider great for me to be successful in the course. thanks once again and i give great applaud to all who have responded to my questions.
viruz
<<

venom77

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:19 pm

If you have both of those resources (CEH Prep Guide and Official Review Guide), I think that should be plenty of material for you to learn and prepare for the CEH exam.

BillV
<<

jason

Post Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:02 pm

I agree with Bill. You should be good to go with those.
<<

vijay2

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:51 am

Having done CeH and OSCP and others, I would second that go with CeH first. OSCP is much more tougher than CeH and more hands on. Also, I if you do not have hands on experience in IT, OSCP would be much tougher for you. All the best for whate ever you chose to go for.

Welcome to EH-Net.

VJ
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+
<<

LSOChris

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:28 am

as i've said before, OSCP assumes (while not stating this anywhere) that you already know the CEH equivalent knowledge.  if you dont already have that information in your head its going to be a very hard course
<<

viruz

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:14 pm

Great responses, thanks for the reponses i really appreciate it, and i just dont know how to say a big THANK YOU to all of your, i really appreciate, yes i think the two books are good, i downloaded them olne but thy are not with the CD that do come with hem, maybe i'll get them on amazon real soon. i appreciate you guys thanks.

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker