Download Links for CEH TOOLS

<<

pkeyl

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:30 am

Download Links for CEH TOOLS

Hi can anyone give me the download links for all the Tools which is been thught in CEH certifications and whic comes with CD.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:16 am

Re: Download Links for CEH TOOLS

No.

I could leave it at that, but I'll give some thoughts also.

Direct Answers:

1. The CEH course materials have well over 500 tools some of which are not around anymore. So links for many tools just don't exist.
2. The ones that are in the course materials were compiled by the authors who spent countless hours putting it all together for you. If you don't think their time is valuable or should be paid for, then...
3. Why don't you do the research to find every hacking tool's name, version and link. For those that are not available anymore, go hunt down the original authors and ask for copies. While you're at it, go find new tools, descriptions and links for those not in the CEH courseware, and include them in your new comprehensive guide of ethical hacking tools. Then when done, publish it online for all to download for free. In all seriousness, it would be a huge help to the community.
4. The common thought on the CEH is that there are too many tools. How about widdling them down to the best-of-breed, and learn everything you can about each tool as opposed to finding every tool that ever existed. You'll save lots of time which could be spent learning the handful of tools inside and out. That will make you a much more valuable security professional.

Nice Answers:

Go visit:
- Penetration Testing Frameowrk 0.52 (Dec 08 Release)
- Download and play with BackTrack 3
- Read my review of the SANS 560 course, Ed Skoudis and the Pen Testing Factory, which includes links to best-of-breed tools.

Combined Answer:

Go out and be productive, and remember to give back more than you took. After all, we should always have some sportsman spirit, right?!?!

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

geekyone

Post Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:37 am

I totally support Don's very complete and eloquent answer but here is a short and sweet one.  Try this link it lists every tool a beginning hacker will need.  Fyodor rocks!

http://sectools.org/

P.S. CEH covers a lot more then this but these are the best.
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA
<<

Kev

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:25 pm

Yes Fyodor does rock and in my humble opinion his Nmap is the first tool to focus on. There is enough there to keep you busy for a while.  Its better to really know 6 or 7 tools completely rather than 500 poorly.
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:59 am

You said it Kev. We only regularly use a handful here for our test events. Of course there is always room to add to the toolbox, but it is better to have a firm grasp of those few tools than to know next to nothing about many. Good luck.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

Kev

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:43 pm

Thanks sgt_mjc, hackers like yourself that have been doing it a while understand that.

When I used to have more time years ago (god I miss those days) a group of hackers that I used to associate with used to play a unique game of "capture the flag".  What made it unique was we would limit ourselves to 1 or maybe 2 tools and see who could 'pop the box' first.  Of course the box was set up by one person to be breached with that tool , but often it took some ingenuity to do so. We have all heard that old stuff about if I had only one tool, blah..blah.. netcat. But what if that were true? Do you have the ingenuity to make it work? If it doesnt work, do you feel confident that you explored every possible way and can say with authority that approach isn't working?

Just to repeat myself, dont worry about 500 tools when you are first starting. If you do, you will more than likely sink in the sands of overwhelm. 

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker