Any Practice Environment for learning tool for CEH?

<<

hasslehawk

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:33 am

Any Practice Environment for learning tool for CEH?

Hi
I have recently joined this forum after deciding to give my career a new direction in Security arena and complete few aspirations I had during my graduation..

Member Geekyone helped me to clear up my mind and decide to go for CEH.
But had few doubts regarding preparation for CEH
If I opt for self study .. due to nature of my current job ..
how can I practice these tools. I cannot play with these tools in public networks ..
I have two laptops one with [b]Vista Busines
s and other is a MacBook (Leopard 10.5)[/b]
I have installed Parallels on MacBook, so I have other OS also in virtual environment
Windows XP in Boot Camp, Win 2003 Server & Ubuntu 8 in Parallels VM
You see I play a lot with my MacBook
So can I use most of the tools just with my own laptops or should I enroll in some virtual training networks to learn these tools?

Thanks & sorry for Long post  ;)
I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious ~ Albert Einstien

MCP, CEH
WIP: Need to decide next step
<<

jason

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:05 am

Re: Any Practice Environment for learning tool for CEH?

It sounds like you should be fairly good to go OS-wise. You can always load something additional into a vm if you need something specific.
<<

shednik

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:04 pm

Best of luck to you I'm working on setting up my vmware server at the moment for the CEH as well, let us know if you have any questions!
CCNA, MCP, A+, N+

WIP: Masters of Infosec, CEH, & Mastering C
<<

hasslehawk

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:39 am

Hey Shednik

I am referring to a old Lab guide borrowed from a friend to set up the environment. CAn you tell me if you are referring any specific material to set ur's?
I am planning to order the Self Study material once I get the approval from EC Council to go for this certification.
Which material are you referring for your study?

MCP, CEH
<<

blackazarro

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:59 am

Suggested reading by one of our members:

Virtual Lab with VMware

And if you're interested:

How I passed the CEH(v5) exam

Enjoy!!
Last edited by blackazarro on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

jason

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:02 am

<<

shednik

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:06 am

blackazarro wrote:Suggested reading by one of our members:

Virtual Lab with VMware

And if you're interested:

How I passed the CEH(v5) exam

Enjoy!!

Nice write up on your study path for the v5 CEH exam, it gave me a few good ideas to use for my studies.  One thing I wanted to point out though is one of your resources you used, I don't know the exact policy for EC-Council but I know with other vendors they usually revoke certifications for one of the products you used 'TestKing' if you look at this link:
http://www.CertGuard.com/Search.asp?Site=testking.com
I just wanted you to know if you didn't already.

@hassel

I don't have a lab guide or anything which one are you using? I planned on just practicing and exploring different tools and methodologies I read about in books.
Here's the book I am currently reading:

http://www.amazon.com/CEH-Prep-Guide-Co ... 017&sr=8-2  

My lab set up is vmware server running on centos...with various linux vms/windows vms.
CCNA, MCP, A+, N+

<<

jason

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:11 am

Using braindumps of any sort to pass the test is only going to hurt you further down the road. I'm sure that they would not look favorably upon you if you did/said something obvious to call attention to the fact that you had used one.
<<

blackazarro

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:21 pm

One thing I wanted to point out though is one of your resources you used, I don't know the exact policy for EC-Council but I know with other vendors they usually revoke certifications for one of the products you used 'TestKing' if you look at this link:
http://www.CertGuard.com/Search.asp?Site=testking.com
I just wanted you to know if you didn't already.

Thanks for the info. Anyhow, I use practice tests to assess my learning capabilities and to find out what I need to work on before I take the test. While doing this you have to be careful because you could encounter mistakes suggesting that the answer you have chosen is wrong when otherwise it is correct. But finding these errors is an indication that you have studied and prepared yourself well for the test.

When I was researching for practice test, I had found info that testking was the preferred product . As I recall, the real CEH test questions were different from TestKing. On the other hand, some of the questions I had were similar to those from the Official EC-Council CEH Review Guide.

The moral lesson here is that you take the time and effort to practice and learn the materials well for any given cert test in order for you to perform better at your job or just simply gain new skill sets. Not just earning a cert. For the CEH, it took me 8 months to study. During those 8 months I built a virtual lab to practice the tools that were given as part of the CEH objectives and I also took the Offensive Security course which led me to earned my OSCP which I'm really proud of. Plus having years of experience working in the Security field, I considered that the CEH v5 test was a piece a cake.

Any test is easy if you study hard.
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

blackazarro

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:37 pm

From the How I passed the CEH(v5) exam forum topic, this is how I set up my virtual lab when I was studying for the CEH.

However, instead of using VMware to create the virtual machines I used VMX Builder, a free easy-to-use desktop tool for creating virtual machines. For additional info about this app please refer to the following link:

http://petruska.stardock.net/Software/VMware.html
http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/31/1822248

I also used irongeek's video http://irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/vmxbuilder to learn how to use it in conjunction with VMware's player.

My virtual lab consist of 2 Windows Server (2000 and 2003), a linux server (Ubuntu 6.10) and my slax client (Backtrack final 2.0) for conducting attacks against these server as well as my Windows XP professional client.
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

shednik

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:56 pm

blackazarro,

I was only pointing it out for the reasons of what can happen to someone who has used something like testking.  I was in no way trying to elude to the fact you only passed because of test king, from what I've seen I'm sure you didn't need the resource.  I just wanted to point it out to you because I had done the some thing similar. Unknowingly when studying for my Network+ some one had suggested them as a resource. So I hope you didn't take that the wrong way!
CCNA, MCP, A+, N+

<<

blackazarro

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:09 pm

It's all good shednik, I know what you said was meant for all the right reasons and I appreciate that.
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

jason

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:44 pm

blackazarro wrote:The moral lesson here is that you take the time and effort to practice and learn the materials well for any given cert test in order for you to perform better at your job or just simply gain new skill sets.

Exactly so. If you *just* braindump it, you might as well not do it at all.
<<

hasslehawk

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:45 pm

This forum & its members ROCKS !!!  8)
Never expected such overwhelming response.
Thank You so much blackazarro , shednik & jason .. this was all I needed to start my study..
I have ordered the CEH Official Guide & Counter Hack Reloaded books
And will setup my environment using the information provided.

@ shednik  Regarding the Lab Guide I have an old printout from the EC council bootcamp course. They have mentioned the lab environment setup of their class. But I think the links above have more clear details regarding the setup.

Once again thanks .. just cant wait to setup my environment and start learning tools.. :)

MCP, CEH
<<

blackazarro

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:04 pm

That's great to hear that we could help. That's what this site is all about, helping one another out.
Security+, OSCP, CEH
Next

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker