Where do I start.

<<

Dakarot

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:01 pm

Where do I start.

I have recently become very interested in Pen Testing/Ethical Hacking.  So much so that I already have numerous books, slides, course studies, training boot camp videos....and so on.  The more I learn the more I want to do this. I have basically decided that this is what I want to do.  Period.  I have never really worked for a IT company nor do I have a Single Cert. or a job that is involved with security/IT. Where do I start? Specific Please! What is the very first step.  I have be to countless websites and I still feel like I dont know how to begin.  Any advice would be appr.

Thanks
Dak
<<

vijay2

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: Where do I start.

Well If you dont have a IT back ground, I would say start right there, start with taking apart a PC and know the differnt components, then move on to networking, try to master the art of computer networking and the different ways computers are connected. I guess those are the first steps

VJ
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+
<<

crk

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: Where do I start.

I'm in the same boat as you are; I have some experience with things but nothing to show for it, i.e, no relevant work experience and no certs. I'm under the impression that the first certs one should pursue are the ones from CompTIA- A+ for hardware, Network+ for networking, Security+ for security, etc. You'll probably have to get a grunt job at first, maybe at Best Buy? Or a computer support and repair place. Or something. Like I said, I'm with you here; we have to figure out a way to build credibility so we can move on up ;)

Return to Career Central