don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:30 pm

ShmooCon 2009

ShmooCon 2009
Feb 6 - 8, 2009
Washington, DC

Different • ShmooCon is an annual East coast hacker convention hell-bent on offering three days of an interesting atmosphere for demonstrating technology exploitation, inventive software & hardware solutions, and open discussions of critical infosec issues. The first day is a single track of speed talks, One Track Mind. The next two days, there are three tracks: Break It!, Build It!, and Bring It On!.

Affordable • ShmooCon is about high-quality without the high price. Take advantage of scaled pre-registration discounts, and ShmooCon can be dirt cheap. Space is limited! ShmooCon has sold out for the last two years, so unless taking a chance on an eBay auction to get your ticket sounds like fun, register early!

Accessible • Well, except for our West coast friends, sorry guys. ShmooCon is in Washington, D.C., at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel, just a few steps from the D.C. Metro. Fly into DCA, IAD, or BWI, or take a train to Union Station, and you are just a quick cab ride away from the con.

Entertaining • Brain melting from all the cool tech you are learning? Check out some of the contests running at ShmooCon, including the Hacker Arcade and Hack/Or/Halo. In years past, we have also thrown massive parties at a local area hot-spot, so expect that to happen again too!

Wardman Park Marriott
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/w ... ark-hotel/

For more info:
http://www.shmoocon.org

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

oneeyedcarmen

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:46 am

Re: ShmooCon 2009

I've got my barcode! Who else is going to be there?
Reluctant CISSP, Certified ASS
<<

vijay2

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:56 am

I will be there :)
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:45 pm

Looks like many EH-Netters will be at Shmoo this year. Unfortunately, I won't be one of them.  :'(

Look for Ed Skoudis and the InGuardians in their booth, EH-Net columnists Chris Gates & Brian Wilson, and regulars like vijay2, oneeyedcarmen and punkrokk (you'll see more of him on EH-Net soon) & others. Sounds like a blast, and we will be well represented.

Keep an eye out for some daily forum posts about the event from those in attendance. If there's anyone else going, let us know. These guys are very generous with their time and always willing to meet new people.

Have fun and spread the word of all our great projects with the masses,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

oneeyedcarmen

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:04 pm

Really looking forward to it. This is going to be my first Shmoo and the cast of characters attending is sure to keep things interesting.
<<

oneeyedcarmen

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:56 am

My liver and I survived my first Shmoocon (though my bank card may not have http://tinyurl.com/aedh9l).

I'm going through my notes and trying to put together a summary, along with links to some of the talks. It was great finally getting to meet CG, as we'd corresponded via email and the boards here and on LSO for a few years now. I also got to meet Ed Skoudis who's teaching the SANS @Home course that I'm taking.

I was able to get quite a few flyers for ChicagoCon 2009s passed out, and saw that Johnny Long had allowed a stack to be placed on his table in the vendor section (be sure to check out and support Hackers for Charity).

It was a lot of fun, but I've decided that next year, I'll suck it up and get a room at the hotel instead of trekking to and from Baltimore each day.
Last edited by oneeyedcarmen on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

punkrokk

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:31 pm

Hey.... I got to hang with some friends (Brian and Ryan) as well as meet CG, oneeyedcarmen, and many other interesting peeps.... quite a few from the Chicago Hacker scene, and the chicago 2600... I enjoyed the FastTrack preview, and the shmoo release of Backtrack 4 beta. I wish it was longer!!! I also was able to pick up a few good books from NoStarch, as well as meet Paul and Larry from pauldotcom security weekly... all in all a great time!

Anyways, can't wait for Chicagocon in May!!!

-punkrokk
-=punkrokk=-
<<

Ketchup

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:08 pm

I wish I could have been there, but I completely missed registration deadlines -doh.  Any idea if they are going to be posting videos like previous years?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

punkrokk

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:20 am

I found a bunch of slides posted... http://www.shmoocon.org/presentations.html#keynote
-=punkrokk=-

Return to Calendar Of Events