Jamming by babycam

<<

sbsb

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:20 pm

Jamming by babycam

http://blog.didierstevens.com/2008/11/23/quickpost-wifi-availability/

"A WiFi camera, operating on channel 1, is streaming video. When I switch on an analogue, wireless babycam, you see a strong signal appearing near channel 9 (watch the SPECTRAL VIEW of the Wi-Spy spectrum analyzer, e.g. the window in the upper-left corner). After some time, I switch the babycam to a channel near channel 1 of the WiFi camera. Now the transmission of the babycam jams the transmission of the WiFi camera, and we lose connectivity.

Powering off the babycam restores the WiFi connection."

The blog entry includes a link to a video demonstrating the attack, illustrating the danger and ease of a layer 1 attacks.
<<

jason

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Jamming by babycam

This sort of interference is not terribly uncommon, unfortunately. I have a microwave that interferes with the signal on my cordless phones, and a cordless phone that will shut down my wireless network. This is just the casual stuff, let alone deliberate jamming. These types of consumer devices are not meant to robustly resist interference from other devices.
<<

jason

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:27 pm

Here's an article discussing interference from some of these devices:

http://www.informit.com/guides/content. ... &seqNum=83
<<

venom77

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:19 pm

jason wrote:This sort of interference is not terribly uncommon, unfortunately. I have a microwave that interferes with the signal on my cordless phones, and a cordless phone that will shut down my wireless network. This is just the casual stuff, let alone deliberate jamming. These types of consumer devices are not meant to robustly resist interference from other devices.

Yeah, I ran into that once a while back. My sister had complained about her wireless dropping off all the time at my parents house. I looked and couldn't find anything wrong for the longest time... until the phone rang one day and kicked her off and I was able to put two and two together :)
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:24 pm

I have seen this also in apartment complexes with cordless phones, Wifi routers, Wireless video, Wii controllers (upto 4 per systems), microwaves, it is crazy the number of devices in 2.4Mhz. The alternative could be to use some of the older 802.11A routers and NICs since it's at 5Ghz. or you could get a cordless phone at 900hz, 2.4Mhz, or 5Mhz. There is not alot of RF spectrum for consumer devices and the more things we get that are wireless the more competition you will see for the RF frequencies.

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

sbsb

Post Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:20 pm

yeah, the intermittent interference would be enough to make you go crazy.
<<

jason

Post Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:02 pm

Ran across a design for a portable RF jammer today:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/wavebubble/

Might be fun  ;D Also might be illegal, depending on where you live.
<<

gstefanick

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:23 pm

sbsb wrote:http://blog.didierstevens.com/2008/11/23/quickpost-wifi-availability/

"A WiFi camera, operating on channel 1, is streaming video. When I switch on an analogue, wireless babycam, you see a strong signal appearing near channel 9 (watch the SPECTRAL VIEW of the Wi-Spy spectrum analyzer, e.g. the window in the upper-left corner). After some time, I switch the babycam to a channel near channel 1 of the WiFi camera. Now the transmission of the babycam jams the transmission of the WiFi camera, and we lose connectivity.

Powering off the babycam restores the WiFi connection."

The blog entry includes a link to a video demonstrating the attack, illustrating the danger and ease of a layer 1 attacks.

FYI -- Microwaves have a tendency to live in the back end of the 2.4 GHz spectrum. With that being said of your personal AP is near a MW, i might suggest putting it on channel 1 ....
CCNA, CWNA, CQS-CWLANSS
<<

EttaBuchhen

Post Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:31 am

I have an experience to share with you guys. Once I was in a remote place, my signal in my phone got jammed, i thought the problem would be with my service provider. After coming back home i gave black and blues to my customer care highlighting my issue. They pleaded me saying that the problem is not with them. Then i browsed through the search engine regarding my issue, i got a remedy for my cell phone, there i came to know the problem called signal jamming that is experienced in most cell phones. They have a product called cell jammer could be very useful to get rid of these problems. Check out the details here cell jammer and hope this information would be beneficial. Hope that u would pass this information to all your friends, so that they too would benefited, Stay safe, Cheers
<<

EttaBuchhen

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:04 pm

gstefanick wrote:
sbsb wrote:http://blog.didierstevens.com/2008/11/23/quickpost-wifi-availability/

Powering off the babycam restores the WiFi connection.

FYI -- Microwaves have a tendency to live in the back end of the 2.4 GHz spectrum. With that being said of your personal AP is near a MW, i might suggest putting it on channel 1 ....

I have an experience to share with you guys. Once I was in a remote place, my signal in my phone got jammed, i thought the problem would be with my service provider. After coming back home i gave black and blues to my customer care highlighting my issue. They pleaded me saying that the problem is not with them. Then i browsed through the search engine regarding my issue, i got a remedy for my cell phone, there i came to know the problem called signal jamming that is experienced in most cell phones. They have a product called cell jammer could be very useful to get rid of these problems. Check out the details here cell jammer and hope this information would be beneficial. Hope that u would pass this information to all your friends, so that they too would benefited, Stay safe, Cheers
<<

UKSecurityGuy

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:23 am

XKCD has a good illustration of the Microwave/Wifi interfeerence problem.

http://xkcd.com/654/

Return to Wireless