EC-Council ECE System

<<

venom77

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:54 am

EC-Council ECE System

Greetings everyone,

As a member of the EC-Council Scheme Committee, I'm looking for input from those that have earned any of the EC-Council certifications that require ECE credits to maintain (ENSA, CEH, CHFI, ECSA, LPT, ECVP, ECSP, CNDA, ECDR).

What are your feelings on the system? Is it fair? Are there enough ways to earn credits to maintain your certification(s)?

I am open to any and all suggestions, comments, criticism and anything else you may want to address on the subject. If it's something I can answer, I'll try my best to do so and if there are strong feelings about certain topics I will take them back to the other committee members so that we may address the concerns.

I know this subject has been discussed here in the past. Now that the ECE system has been around for a while, I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on it so that we can make it better.

Thanks for your help.

BillV
<<

LSOChris

Post Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:29 am

Re: EC-Council ECE System

how bout a link to the current requirements.

i'm being lazy and not searching...but since you brought it up....
<<

Data_Raid

Post Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:43 am

Bill,

I think as a start it would be good to see that the ECE points/requirements are reset if the credential holder re-certifies or at least increase the points earned for retaking the exam, referring to topic: http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... /#msg13642

For everyone: Here's a link to the ECE requirements: http://www.eccouncil.org/ece.htm

I like the idea of not having to pay any annual fees to maintain certification, I hope that this will never change.

Overall, I think it's relatively easy to achieve the minimum ECE credits
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

venom77

Post Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:10 am

ChrisG wrote:how bout a link to the current requirements.

i'm being lazy and not searching...but since you brought it up....

Ha! Yeah, I should have added that.. whoops.

Adding to the link that Data_Raid posted, here's the link to the FAQ: http://portal.eccouncil.org/delta/faq.htm

You basically have 3 years to earn 120 points, earning at least 20 in a given year.

Here's a list of how you can currently earn points:

Education Course (1 Day)-7 credits
Education Course (2 Day)-14 credits
Education Course (5 Day)-35 credits
Higher Education (1 quarter hour)-15 credits
Higher Education (2 quarter hours)-30 credits
Higher Education (3 quarter hours)-45 credits
Higher Education (1 semester hour)-10 credits
Higher Education (2 semester hour)-20 credits
Higher Education (3 semester hour)-30 credits
Examination (1 hr length)-1 credits
Examination (2 hr length)-2 credits
Examination (5 hr length)-5 credits
Examination (EC-Council Exams Effective January 2008)-120 credits
Education Sem/Conf/Evt (< half day)-2 credits
Education Sem/Conf/Evt (half-day)-4 credits
Education Sem/Conf/Evt (1 Day)-7 credits
Education Sem/Conf/Evt (2 Day)-14 credits
Education Sem/Conf/Evt (5 Day)-35 credits
Speak (1 hr presentation)-3 credits
Speak (2 hr presentation)-6 credits
Teach  New (1 Day)-21 credits
Teach New  (2 Day)-42 credits
Teach New  (5 Day)-105 credits
Teach Upgrade (1 Day)-11 credits
Teach Upgrade (2 Day)-21 credits
Teach Upgrade (5 Day)-53 credits
Author article/chapter (per item)-10 credits
Author book (per book)-40 credits
Assn/Org Mbrship (per Assn/Org)-2 credits
Assn/Org Ch Mbrship (per Chapter)-3 credits
Assn/Org/Ch Mtg: (per mtg)-3 credits
Addtl:  Read IS-related book (per bk)-5 credits
Addtl: Book Review (per book)-5 credits
Addtl: Case Study (per study)-5 credits
Addtl: White Paper (per paper)-5 credits
Examination (EC-Council Exams up to December 2007)- 40 Credits
Podcasts - 2 Credits
Last edited by venom77 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

venom77

Post Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:15 am

Data_Raid wrote:Bill,

I think as a start it would be good to see that the ECE points/requirements are reset if the credential holder re-certifies or at least increase the points earned for retaking the exam

This is definitely in my notes of something to bring up with the committee. It's something I've been a bit confused on myself since the start of the ECE system, but as I said in the thread you referenced, it's a difficult situation. If you have any specific suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Data_Raid wrote:I like the idea of not having to pay any annual fees to maintain certification, I hope that this will never change.

Overall, I think it's relatively easy to achieve the minimum ECE credits

Yup, agreed :)

Thanks for the comments.

BillV
<<

venom77

Post Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:22 am

Also, one thing I've always thought would be nice is a discount on updated exams/courseware for members who have already achieved certification. Any thoughts on that?

BillV
<<

tntcoda

Post Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:52 pm

Generally im quite happy with the ECE system, it seems a good way of maintaining a certification.

The only addition I would like to see on the delta system is exact dates a cert expires and needs renewing, as far as i can see this isn't listed at all.

Also, Is there a limit on how many books or podcasts you can use to build up credits?

I am currently doing a computer science degree full time, so it limits my options for building up credits a bit. Im not sure this counts as higher education, as it isn't directly security related?
<<

venom77

Post Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:59 pm

tntcoda wrote:The only addition I would like to see on the delta system is exact dates a cert expires and needs renewing, as far as i can see this isn't listed at all.

You're right, it's not really tied into a specific individual's certifications. I will definitely bring this up. One problem I can see coming from this, is the organization in membership IDs. I know that I have different IDs assigned to me for each certification. It would probably be a pretty big task for them to get that straightened up (but it should have been done correctly in the first place :P)

tntcoda wrote:Also, Is there a limit on how many books or podcasts you can use to build up credits?

I am currently doing a computer science degree full time, so it limits my options for building up credits a bit. Im not sure this counts as higher education, as it isn't directly security related?

There is no limit on podcasts (that I'm aware of) but I believe the "reading a book" option is limited to 1/year. I'd honestly be surprised if that one is kept as a valid way to earn points (it should be, but there's no way to verify).

As for the higher education, I would submit anyway and see if it's accepted. It may not be directly related to security, but I would think that as long as the class is within the realm of IT you should be ok as it's still furthering your knowledge.

BillV
<<

Ketchup

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:39 pm

How about wrapping the ECE Delta site in SSL?  I know we are just fooling ourselves if we think SSL secure, but it's better then nothing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

venom77

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:16 pm

Does it not work for you?

https://portal.eccouncil.org/delta
<<

Ketchup

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:50 pm

That works, thanks!  Looks like it's the link from the portal.eccouncil.org site that defaults to plain HTTP, not HTTPS.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

venom77

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:12 pm

It looks like it only defaults to standard HTTP if you go to the portal using standard HTTP and do not login.

If you login to the portal, you're redirected to HTTPS and this also changes the ECE link to HTTPS.

I'll see if we can make the default ECE site redirect to HTTPS automatically.

Return to General Certification