Notices from the server, contest holders

<<

travis

Post Mon May 01, 2006 10:28 pm

Notices from the server, contest holders

Hey guys, I submitted my solution, and then resubmitted some portions (because of minute errors in my code.) When will we hear about the status of this contest? (I'm more interested on whether you guys got my submission or if the evil spam blockers got it.)

* Should I spend this waiting time making my answer more 'pretty'? Or will a technical answer that covers everything well do fine.
Last edited by travis on Mon May 01, 2006 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon May 01, 2006 11:07 pm

Re: Notices from the server, contest holders

Hey Travis,

We successfully received all 4 entries. Ed is in charge of deciding the winners as he is the author of the challenge. Each challenge is a 2 month process. We happened to release this one a little early, but the official date was supposed to be May 1 - today. So submissions will be accepted through the end of the month with the winners announced soon afterwards.

See: Skillz H@ck1ng Challenge Details

We only accept 1 submission per person. Because of your concern that the entry may not have been received correctly, we felt it was only right to accept multiple entries. We're reasonable people.  8)

Since each challenge allows an entire month for submissions, many previous participants utilized that time to make a more 'pretty' answer. So I look forward to your creativity for our next challenge that begins July 1.

Thanks,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

travis

Post Mon May 01, 2006 11:11 pm

Shame, I had been cleaning up the entry when you replied!

Ahh well, there is next month.... Thanks for the prompt response.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon May 01, 2006 11:28 pm

No shame in it at all.

Your reason for wanting another submission was more for adding content as opposed to changing content which is commendable. Although we're trying to prevent the latter, we don't want to get into an argument after the fact with those who do more than just add creative touches. So all we can do is allow 1 entry and politely suggest taking your time if you want to add more thought to your answer.

BTW - We really do get into the narratives that some people submit. There are truly some smart people out there, but also some very talented writers as well.

So, just keep in mind that there are no rewards for early entries. All entries are read fully by Ed, and he has been great in personally responding to all participants. We have had a HUGE response thus far, so it may take Ed a little while to respond, but he has been incredibly generous with his time.

All the best and I look forward to your participation in other areas of the site.

Many thanks for being a member,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

travis

Post Mon May 01, 2006 11:45 pm

Haha, wonderful, I found myself browsing the internet looking for something to do, and found myself in a 'working mood', hence the poorly edited and early submission. I entirely respect the decision to keep submissions down to one, and next month (:] ?) I'll see how I can tie in some cool creative writing into my answer. Should be interesting to read how some other people approached this problem, and there looks to be quite a lot of content here, and a nice community that I can bounce ideas off.

You guys wouldn't happen to indulge in IRC by any chance?

Return to May 06 - Star Hacks, Episode V: The Empire Hacks Back