Packet Analysis book suggestions

<<

geekyone

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:37 am

Packet Analysis book suggestions

I have been looking for a good book about packet analysis.  I am really not looking for a book about a specific packet sniffing tool.  I want one that really digs into analyzing packet contents.  I have been considering getting "Practical Packet Analysis: Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems" but I am not sure it is what I want.  Has anyone read it?  Is it any good?
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:39 am

Re: Packet Analysis book suggestions

I enjoyed it very much. In fact, I was thinking about doing a writeup on it. It goes through the basics like protocol overviews and how they look in Wireshark. And there are several real-world examples of how it can be used to solve networking issues. It's also a quick read being only 192 pages.

The guy who wrote it runs this site with tutorials and other good stuff:
http://www.chrissanders.org

I haven't read Jay Beale's "Wireshark & Ethereal Network Protocol Analyzer Toolkit," but knowing Jay and looking at it's size, it will get much more in depth. It was also published in 2006, but not much has changed with basic protocol analysis in 2 years. ;)

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

chuck378

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:56 pm

If you really enjoy it and have the money, I suggest the "Laura Chappell Master Library".  It's $999, but it's well worth the money.  Several tutorials, presentations, hands on and pretty much all the books she wrote.  I learned so much with just the first DVD.  It's a complete course on packet analysis.  You can find more information at w w w. packet-level.com.  Check it out.
chuck378
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:27 pm

Great suggestion, Chuck.

Don
<<

nicsec

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:07 pm

chuck378 wrote:If you really enjoy it and have the money, I suggest the "Laura Chappell Master Library".  It's $999, but it's well worth the money.  Several tutorials, presentations, hands on and pretty much all the books she wrote.  I learned so much with just the first DVD.  It's a complete course on packet analysis.  You can find more information at w w w. packet-level.com.  Check it out.
chuck378

Still working my way through the set.  Done with 1/4.  So far I really like it. Some new info, some old but mostly seeing things in a different way now.
<<

geekyone

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:54 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I would love to get the Master Library  but that is a little out of my price range right now.  I probably break down and get the "Practical Packet Analysis" book and just keep dreaming about Laura's collection.
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:10 pm

Along with the suggestion for the master library, which I have a copy of as well, you'd also be good to look into the Wireshark University courses and CBT's.  They lend a lot of practical insight, and really cover a lot, specific to both Wireshark AND packet analysis, in general.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:13 pm

And since this thread has been bumped, let me throw in Josh Wright's Wireless Course, SANS 617. In addition to some mad wireless fu, it was also a master class in pcap analysis. He even wrote a couple chapters for a Syngress title.

“Wireshark and Ethereal Packet Sniffing”, published by Syngress Press, Angela Orebaugh, et al.  I wrote two chapters for this book, chapter 6 on wireless analysis with Wireshark and chapter 9 on Wireshark accompanying tools (for command-line use).  My editor said I could give away the wireless chapter as the sample for free.

http://www.willhackforsushi.com

Don
<<

punkrokk

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:09 am

geekyone wrote:I have been looking for a good book about packet analysis.  I am really not looking for a book about a specific packet sniffing tool.  I want one that really digs into analyzing packet contents.  I have been considering getting "Practical Packet Analysis: Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems" but I am not sure it is what I want.  Has anyone read it?  Is it any good?

I have not read the above book, but I have read and used Network Intrusion Detection, by Northcutt and Novak. It has a lot of great sections on Packet Analysis, some excellent tcpdump examples, as well as a very well rounded analysis of TCP and it's weaknesses. It goes into some stuff in more detail than Hacking Exposed in some cases (although the book is really on a different topic) and has dozens of example packet captures with detail analysis and explanations.  I use it to teach a Network Forensics and Security class.
-=punkrokk=-

Return to Book Reviews