Good Afternoon YALL!

<<

AJBurkeen

Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:14 pm

Good Afternoon YALL!

Hey guys! This being my first post on this forum, I thought I'd introduce myself. My names Austin as you guys can see ;D. Basically for the last few weeks I'v really been getting into the field of Pen Testing. I think its kind of my calling, Sence I was around 14 (Im 17 atm) years old I'v always been interested in exploiting things. I started out exploiting online gaming systems via Winsock connections, ever sence then I'v just loved this area in computing. Right now im taking the CNNA class and Im taking a class on Ethical Hacking.. and thats where my problem is at..

Basically im going through the Linux+ and Network+ curiculum at the moment and the teacher that is "teaching" us Network Security is relying on us to pretty much teach ourselves sence he doesnt even know enough about it himself to teach it.

Me being the Sub-Geek I am im pretty much the go to guy for this information, and I bearly have a grasp on the concepts. I'v been working my way around DVL and BackTrack3 and it is very overwelming.

Not necessarily the tools included in these distro's but lack of information documenting them. I do ALOT of research on my own and I am even having trouble finding free information on the whole Ethical Hacking scene.

I would love it if you guys could give me a push in the right direction..
Maybe some good sites documenting Metasploit and such?

Really any advice is good at the moment.

Sorry for this being so long, thanks for reading.

Austin
<<

joswr1ght

Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:54 pm

Re: Good Afternoon YALL!

AJBurkeen wrote:I would love it if you guys could give me a push in the right direction..
Maybe some good sites documenting Metasploit and such?

One thing I have found tremendously helpful is the ability to digest tech books.  I have a Safari account with O'Reilly and make good use of that resource.  I'm thinking of picking up a Kindle too, since O'Reilly is publishing more in DRM-free e-book format:

http://toc.oreilly.com/2008/06/select-o ... undle.html

Best of luck,

-Josh
<<

AJBurkeen

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:23 pm

Thanks for the reply Josh. Right now im scanning Amazon and looking for some books on Ethical Hacking. Anyone got any suggestions?
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:37 pm

Try our Book Review section for starters. There are aslo lots of sample chapters to give you a peek.

There are many more mentioned throughout the forums. Maybe a search of our community for books might turn up some great stuff. Other members can post their suggestions as well.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME

Return to Network Pen Testing