BackTrack Problem . please help in solving this problem

<<

snouto

Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:57 pm

BackTrack Problem . please help in solving this problem

Hello everybody in this forum  i would like to know something .

first of all , iam terribly sorry for posting this post in this forum , but i don't know where can i post it anywhere else . it is a big problem i have

i had purchased a laptop specifically for installing backtrack on it for web application penetration testing it is a sony vaio Model Number : VGN NR330E
with mobile intel gl 960 express chipset 

first of all , i installed my backtrack on a flash card and made it executable
but when i boot from the flash or from the cd of the backtrack

backtrack successfully installed but the display is not complete ,backtrack display screen is not fully occupying the screen , i have  black screen on the four directions with the backtrack screen nearly in the middle , this problem  i faced when i first installed windows vista but once i downloaded the display adapter for m laptop for vista professional the screen is now fully fit but with backtrack i don't know where can i find the display adapter for installing over linux for backtrack ..

any help regarding this problem . please help me .
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:25 pm

Re: BackTrack Problem . please help in solving this problem

Sounds like a video driver issue. Have you tried the BackTrack Wiki or the Remote-Exploit Forums? Or maybe even the Sony site for Linux drivers? I don't buy Sony stuff, so I don't know if that even exists.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Kev

Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:44 pm

First try to boot from the live CD and see if you get the same problem. If the live CD is fine, then there is something wrong with your flash card installation. If you do have the same problem when you boot the CD, you can try to edit the xorg.conf and see if you can change the resolution. If that doesn’t work, you need to know the video hardware your laptop is using.  For instance, is it Intel or ATI. Linux drivers for ATI work great on Backtrack and you can install diretly from the ATI website. Since its an Intel chipset it will most likely be Intel for the video.  You can install the latest linux driver for your hardware and try that. Sometimes finding linux drivers for Intel can be a little harder than ATI so it might require some searching around with google.
Last edited by Kev on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

joswr1ght

Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:00 pm

snouto wrote:first of all , i installed my backtrack on a flash card and made it executable but when i boot from the flash or from the cd of the backtrack

backtrack successfully installed but the display is not complete ,backtrack display screen is not fully occupying the screen , i have  black screen on the four directions with the backtrack screen nearly in the middle

We use the BT3 CD in my SANS Ethical Hacking Wireless course.  During labs, sometimes people will have problems getting X running properly.  Something I've learned that can work is to kill X Windows (press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace), then from the shell prompt, run:

X -config

This will autoconfigure X and give you a simple window manager.  Press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to kill this simple window manager.

IIRC, this step will write a new configuration file as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.new (or similar; read the output on the screen when you kill X).  I move this file over the default xorg.conf file:

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then run "startx".

NOTE: If this works (I hope it does), you'll have to repeat these steps each time you boot.  Open a bug on the Backtrack Wiki if this solves the problem to let them know.

Best of luck,

-Josh

Return to Hardware