Do You Warcraft?

<<

$w33p3R

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:55 pm

Do You Warcraft?

Well, since it is down time Tuesday on World of Warcraft, thought I would see just how many of us ethical hackers play WoW.  I know just about everyone in our IT department, all over the age of 30, play WoW.  It is our off time hangout.

Hell, we have even had a few IT meetings in guild chat.  If you don't like WoW, what kind of MMORPG's do you guys play.

$w33p3R
MCP, CEH
<<

Kev

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:47 pm

Re: Do You Warcraft?

I don't play it, but I have heard its addictive. I also heard it requires a lot of time, which I really don't have.  I remember back in 1999 Unreal Tournament was the "official" game for most hackers. 
<<

dalepearson

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:47 pm

I dont play WOW, but I did play Star Wars Galaxies when it first came out.
I was then on the EVE Online Beta, then played that for just over a year
Now I dont play any MMORPG as I just cant dedicate the time to be successful, and make the monthly subscription worthwhile.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:18 pm

I'm in the same boat. Don't have the time to play. I'd rather spend it growing EH-Net.  ;)

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

NickFnord

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:35 pm

I played it for a year back in 2004/05 - I'm of the personality type where I have to be  the best at something when I do it otherwise I'm not satisfied - the unfortunate thing is when playing WoW - to be the best means spending the most time.  it did very bad things for my real life relationships and my job.  so I quit after a year and never looked back. 

I currently play a bit of guild wars - it's got a low level cap and you can go solo far more easily than WoW and you can easily spend only 45 mins or something one night without it dragging on like WoW raids did.

I also play Eve online occaisionally - the real-time skill training prevents the time-spent-in-game = advancement trap that I fall into easily and so I'm able to play it casually and still progress at the same rate as someone else who started the same time as me.

I am trying to get into the computer security field so learning after hours is taking up quite a significant portion of my time.  I can't really justify my eve account anymore actually....
<<

geekyone

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:55 pm

I played WOW for a few years.  I quit just after the first expansion came out.  Like most games it had it's good and bad points.  The bad points have already been noted here already i.e. lots of time to be good and solo play not much fun and difficult.  Other then some personal issues I had with Blizzard the main reason I quit playing was the time factor.  My buddies mostly play Eve now and they say it is much more time friendly.
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA
<<

walters

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:00 pm

nope but i played EQ back in 1998-2000 almost lost my job over that, then did dark ages of camolot but i just could not commit, now i have school and the army. so no time now.
soon to be CEH, Security+, and CISSP, when in the next 5 years or so.
<<

Fathercat

Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:31 am

I play eq2 :-)

CISSP
<<

venom77

Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:59 pm

Yup, on the same page as many of the other guys... not enough time for a game that demands so much time.

Every once in a while I like to play SlaveHack when I'm bored... :)

BillV
<<

Fascination

Post Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:17 am

WoW is, at best, a mediocre MMORPG. It became successful purely on the fact that its easy to pick up and get into and the subsequently snowballed into fame. I personally think MMOs like Everquest 2 are for interesting (and for a graphic whore like myself more visually appealing) and require a bit more skill to play as well.

Saying that however, really curious to see how your work meetings panned out in WoW; did you settle disputes via duel? :P
<<

unicityd

Post Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:18 pm

I play.  It's a huge time-suck, but it's a lot of fun.  It does get in the way of my learning time some.  My wife plays, however, so that makes it a little easier.
BS in IT, CISSP, MS in IS Management (in progress)
<<

jason

Post Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Nope, don't play it. I also find it very irritating that I can't go anywhere without having to hear people gibbering at each other about their experiences in it at excruciating levels of detail.
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:47 pm

lol.. Fascination, that's an interesting avatar image you got there.. I struggled to read your reply as my eyes kept wandering back to watch :P
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:37 pm

I just kept thinking that the one in the back looks like my little sister... and it disturbed me from further watching the gif.  Heh, it is a sign that I am old I guess.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"

Return to Opinions