Help to ethically hack WINDOWS 2003

<<

dawebb

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:23 am

Help to ethically hack WINDOWS 2003

Greetings...... I recently accepted a position to handle the desktop environment whereas a consultant worked the server room/networking. He walked out on the job and I inherited it. The Jerk has the server password and I don't have access to the network (he removed my user account). Users only have wireless connection at this point. I tried breaking into the server with the ERD commander but I can't. Can someone help me out please? I can't afford to bring it down and rebuild at this time.

Thanks.
<<

NickFnord

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:17 am

Re: Help to ethically hack WINDOWS 2003

reinstall the operating system?
<<

shednik

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:38 am

dawebb wrote:Greetings...... I recently accepted a position to handle the desktop environment whereas a consultant worked the server room/networking. He walked out on the job and I inherited it. The Jerk has the server password and I don't have access to the network (he removed my user account). Users only have wireless connection at this point. I tried breaking into the server with the ERD commander but I can't. Can someone help me out please? I can't afford to bring it down and rebuild at this time.

Thanks.

If you have physical access try out loftcrack...its a bootable cd that i've had success cracking windows passwords...
CCNA, MCP, A+, N+

WIP: Masters of Infosec, CEH, & Mastering C
<<

det_security08

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:10 am

There is no such thing as one 'server' password.  If you're working for a company, undoubtedly you have users.  Which users have administrative privileges?  You should be able to manage the machine remotely with any privileged account.  If you're saying he was the only administrator equivalent and left the company out to dry, first of all, shame on your company for poor disaster recovery planning. 

Secondly...you said "I tried breaking in with ERD commander but I can't".  What about it didn't work?  What does "I can't", mean?  If you purchased it, did you ask support?  Did you research your problem?  ERD Commander works fine with 2003. 

Bottom line is that you're not providing enough information for anyone to help. 
<<

dawebb

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:36 am

Can't re-install software because the entire wireless network is pointing to this server.  @ NickFnord

And det_security08...... i was trying not to be too lengthy on here. But here's the synopsis. I work for a Charter School. They don't know anything about IT. They hired this guy (one guy) two years ago and he took them to the cleaners. He was a consultant. I'm the first IT employee they have ever had. It's a new school. So you see, yes he was the only one with access. But now I'm coaching them along so that even after I'm gone (if I leave), there will be someone else with access. Shame on them? not really. They didn't/don't know. As for the ERD software. It's an old one from 2003. And I just did research on and it has been document to have problems mounting to Server 2003. I'm downloading ERD 2007 as we speak.

I'll try the loftcrack if the ERD 2007 doesn't work, thanks @ shednik

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
<<

venom77

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:02 pm

This should solve your problem...

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

BillV
<<

Ketchup

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:24 pm

http://www.pcsympathy.com/2008/03/26/how-to-winlockpwn/

This tool is pretty cool as well.  It requires firewire. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

Kev

Post Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:33 pm

Cracking the server password is always the best first choice before a reset is attempted.  Having said that, I would be against doing that if you could possibly force the former admin to reveal the password. The charter school has some legal rights to demand that. An admin cant just lock down a server that is owned by a company and leave them high and dry. People have been jailed for that. So why let him get off free and clear just to do it again to some other unsuspecting small business or school? Usually just a threatening letter from the school and/or attorney will do the trick.

Return to Network Pen Testing