[Article]-Scooby Doo and the Crypto Caper

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:16 pm

[Article]-Scooby Doo and the Crypto Caper

We've had a little slump as of late with the Skillz Hacking Challenges, but we're back. Not only do we have a new, fun challenge with an awesome theme, but this one tests some skillz we haven't seen in a challenge before... forensics.

As you can also see below, a personal message from Ed promising the answers to It Happened One Friday in the coming days. This one is very close to Ed's heart, and he wanted to get it just write. His extraordinarily busy schedule prevented him from giving justice to it. Let me say myself that you will find Ed's explanation nothing short of a miracle.

Permanent link: [Article]-Scooby Doo and the Crypto Caper

Ruh-Roh, challenge fans...

Ed Skoudis here to introduce a new infosec- themed challenge for you to solve. In this one, challenge writer- extraordinaire Kevin Bong has brewed up a real doozy for you all based on a Scooby Doo theme. Grab a Scooby-Snack, hop in the Mystery Machine, and help the gang solve one of their toughest capers yet. Along the way, you'll contend with some fascinating forensics puzzles and develop your skills. Answers are due back by November 15, 2008. As always, we'll award the fine prize of a book to the best technical answer, the most creative technical answer that is also technically correct, and to a random-draw winner.

Please note that I'll be announcing the winner of our previous challenge, It Happened One Friday, in the next few days, so please stay tuned!

If you can’t answer this challenge 100%, still send something in to qualify as a random winner. This month’s prize is my book, Counter Hack Reloaded, which I authored with Lenny Zeltser. Each winner gets a signed copy.

Thank you,
--Ed Skoudis, InGuardians
The Ethicalhacker.net Challenge Guy

Good luck,
Don

PS - Ed... I love your new title!!
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

apollo

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:56 am

Re: [Article]-Scooby Doo and the Crypto Caper

This is a really neat challenge.  I haven't worked on my answers yet, but there is some really cool stuff in here.  Unless you are REALLY into cryptography, there should be some cool stuff to play with in this challenge.
CISSP, CSSLP, MCSE+Security, MCTS, CCSP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCWN, NOP, OSCP, Security+
<<

kevinmbong

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:56 am

Hey apollo,

Thanks.  Sounds like you've made some quick work of it already.  Yeah, I was worried people would be scared off by a cryptography challenge, so I made sure that portion was easy enough that most people will be able to solve it.  If you're a cryptographer by trade you'll probably find that part of the challenge boring. But when you add in the forensics parts there should be something fun for everyone.

Kevin
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:18 am

Submitted to digg. You know what to do.

http://digg.com/security/Scooby_Doo_and ... ypto_Caper

Thanks,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

trolley

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:54 am

Hi there,

The contest is over, so I was wondering if/when the solution would be posted. I want to how much of what I came up with was correct :) I should have submitted but I was a little embarrassed because I'm a newb so I didn't trust that what I had was complete because it seemed too easy.

Thanks!

Return to Oct 2008 - Scooby Doo and the Crypto Caper