Next Up OSCP101 v2.0

<<

Dark_Knight

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:34 pm

Re: Next Up OSCP101 v2.0

Well well well the course has stepped up a NOTCH  :) . I am currently on the Buffer Overflow section and lemme tell you it is VERY interesting. So I will keep you guys up to date..........................
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

chuck378

Post Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Dark_Knight,
I was thinking about taking this course.  I do mostly computer forensics stuff.  I'm CHFI certified and have taken the CEH class (did not take the test because of the $250 fee.  I bought some equipment instead  :)).  Do you have to have a great knowledge on the subject?  Can you do the course on your own time?  I read the info on the course on the Offensive Security web page, but I would like to get your input, since you are taking it now.
Thanks in advanced,
Chuck378 
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:30 pm

chuck378 wrote:Dark_Knight,
I was thinking about taking this course.  I do mostly computer forensics stuff.  I'm CHFI certified and have taken the CEH class (did not take the test because of the $250 fee.  I bought some equipment instead  :)).  Do you have to have a great knowledge on the subject?  Can you do the course on your own time?  I read the info on the course on the Offensive Security web page, but I would like to get your input, since you are taking it now.
Thanks in advanced,
Chuck378 

Hey Chuck,
The OSCP goes WAY more in depth than the CEH. Networking knowledge is key and there is also a fair amount of programming. This varies from simple scripts all the way up to python scripts.  I am currently doing it on my own time. I paid for  a 60 day lab pass based on what I read on this board.

The CEH basically gives you an intro into whats happening. The OSCP is another story. So for example you are introduced to buffer overflows in the CEH. You are also introduced to shellcode in fact they are several questions in the test that refer to this. In the OSCP you actually DO the buffer overlfow and you actually WRITE the shellcode. 
<<

vijay2

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:45 am

I think I should post the difference between the various CERTs mentioned here (CEH, OSCP,GPEN) as i have archived them.

CEH - I would rate this as 5 on a scale of 10. The reasons being its very heavy on tools. It tests the individual on the theoretical knowledge of tools and its options. If you memorize the function of the various tools and the options available you are golden. But achieving CEH does not proof that the holder has practical knowledge. I would place CEH at  entry level of the Pen testing / Ethical Hacking cert.

OSCP - This is great course though the lecture portion of it is only 7 hrs but the labs are just amazing. Its a tough course and assumes prior knowledge of a lots of important concepts to get the maximum out of this course. Its more on practical side and if you are going for cert challenge you better be good at networking concepts and windows/linux command line. Still this course does not deal with business aspects of the Pen Test. But its a great valve for the money.

GPEN - Amazing course, very well structured, covers the business aspects and methodologies of Pen test which I believe no other course/cert talks about. In my opinion this is very important  because you could be very good technically but if you cant deal with the business side, you will not be able to provide the true value of the services you have provided. It is very balanced on tools, concepts and labs. Does not Deal with with lots of tools but the tools discussed there are in depth providing deep insights and tips and tricks from trenches on using them. The philosophy of this course is different, in that it focuses on developing the skills on tools and tricks which are natively available on the OSs, with a rationale that when you are performing a Pen Test you most likely have the liberty to install tools on the Target.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
VJ
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+
<<

WhirlingSands

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:28 am

The course is great fun. I learned allot on it.

The only advice I can give to those doing the exam, is getting a good night sleep day before & plan your exam day/night. Remember you have 24 hours to complete the exam.
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:52 am

vijay2 wrote:I think I should post the difference between the various CERTs mentioned here (CEH, OSCP,GPEN) as i have archived them.

CEH - I would rate this as 5 on a scale of 10. The reasons being its very heavy on tools. It tests the individual on the theoretical knowledge of tools and its options. If you memorize the function of the various tools and the options available you are golden. But achieving CEH does not proof that the holder has practical knowledge. I would place CEH at  entry level of the Pen testing / Ethical Hacking cert.

OSCP - This is great course though the lecture portion of it is only 7 hrs but the labs are just amazing. Its a tough course and assumes prior knowledge of a lots of important concepts to get the maximum out of this course. Its more on practical side and if you are going for cert challenge you better be good at networking concepts and windows/linux command line. Still this course does not deal with business aspects of the Pen Test. But its a great valve for the money.

GPEN - Amazing course, very well structured, covers the business aspects and methodologies of Pen test which I believe no other course/cert talks about. In my opinion this is very important  because you could be very good technically but if you cant deal with the business side, you will not be able to provide the true value of the services you have provided. It is very balanced on tools, concepts and labs. Does not Deal with with lots of tools but the tools discussed there are in depth providing deep insights and tips and tricks from trenches on using them. The philosophy of this course is different, in that it focuses on developing the skills on tools and tricks which are natively available on the OSs, with a rationale that when you are performing a Pen Test you most likely have the liberty to install tools on the Target.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
VJ

So doing the labs and extra mile is not enough for the exam?
<<

vijay2

Post Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:47 am

That would definitely help.
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:19 pm

Update: FRUSTRATED !!!!!!!!
<<

NickFnord

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:55 am

care to elaborate?

I'm planning on taking this course about half way through next year - it seems very thorough from what I've read, hope I can get rid of enough of my newbieness in time to make it worthwile :-)
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:26 am

The course itself is VERY good. Getting help sometimes can be tricky. There are some guys on there that are VERY helpful and others are a bit 'hostile'. So sometimes it can get get frustrating.
Last edited by Dark_Knight on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:27 pm

Can one of you guys help me out with implementing a netcat ssl session using stunnel?
<<

LSOChris

Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:07 pm

what is the question?
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:53 pm

I figured it out actually. In the end it was a configuration issue.
Thanks.
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:44 pm

I am trying to use proxychains with nmap to scan using a proxy. However nmap seems to be using my external ip and not the proxy ip in the proxychains.conf file.

What could be causing this?
<<

hiddenillusion

Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:13 pm

just signed up for the course... you guys sold me.
GCIH, ACE, OSCP, CCNA, CEH, CHFI, Security+
PreviousNext

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional