Help Getting Started

<<

dementedwombat

Post Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:08 pm

Help Getting Started

I don't know if this is the right place to post this question, but it's the closest match. Without further ado, here goes.

I'm a junior in high school and want to get a career in the field of computer security. My main reason for this is because I just like to work with computers and I'd probably end up being something of a hacker anyway. Might as well do it to help people and earn some money, right?

That's all well and good, but I'm having a little trouble figuring out exactly what I should do to prepare for my chosen profession. I presume a Computer Science degree is in order. A few Colleges I've looked at even have a computer security option. I'm pretty computer literate and pick up technological concepts quickly enough, I just need some advice on what to learn. I have a reasionable understanding of haw a computer works, both hardware and software. I know some about networking, and a little about code. Most code seems easy enough, but that might just be a case of not knowing enough to see I don't know.

Just so you know, I'm interested in computer security as a whole. I don't really have a preference on what specialization I'd pick. I'd like to do some of everything, but I'm not sure that's possible. If I had to pick, I guess Pen Testing would be my biggest interest.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope I get a helpful response. 
Last edited by dementedwombat on Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

dalepearson

Post Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: Help Getting Started

Welcome to the forum mate.

My advice would continue with the schooling and like you say do a degree in Computer Science, this will give you a good platform. Focus on networking and security modules, and take it from there.

I am sure everyones background is different on here, but I did computing at college, and then a computer science degree, whilst working in computing on helpdesk etc. Then just worked my way up, did Networking for a fair few years, then onto security, just seems natural progression.

Also have a look at the books people recomend on here, might be worth having a look at one depending on your knowledge to date.

My advise is to have a long term goal.
Last edited by dalepearson on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Kev

Post Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:19 pm

Yes, well stated dalepearson. Remember its a life long love and not a quick learn some tricks kind of thing. 
<<

dalepearson

Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:21 am

Kev wrote:Remember its a life long love

Exactly, I really think its a passion thing.
As with most things, you will be better at something if you have a passion as its not a chore.

Return to Career Central