Elvis Comes Back from Dead to Prove RFID Passports Lack Security

<<

Fathercat

Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:49 am

Elvis Comes Back from Dead to Prove RFID Passports Lack Security

http://gizmodo.com/5057955/elvis-comes-back-from-dead-to-prove-rfid-passports-lack-security

Hackers have discovered techniques to make backups of RFID passports as well as bypass ePassport RFID authentication at airport passport scanners. Their method, which is publicly available, includes software to design custom identities and convinces scanners to accept fully fabricated RFID chips—neither of which trigger any sort of alarm with "security." And in this clip, Elvis comes back from the dead to scan his passport at an airport to prove it.

From the group responsible:

Regardless how good the intention of the government might have been, the facts are that tested implementations of the ePassports Inspection System are not secure.
ePassports give us a false sense of security: We are made to believe that they make use more secure. I'm afraid that's not true: current ePassport implementations don't add security at all.

But now that the security loopholes have been demonstrated, we can't possibly keep using ePassports. Err...right guys? [THC Blog via Slashdot]

Was interesting to see Elvis isn't dead
Last edited by Fathercat on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

CISSP
<<

jason

Post Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:29 pm

Re: Elvis Comes Back from Dead to Prove RFID Passports Lack Security

Elvis has re-entered the building! I can't say that I was even remotely surprised to see this. This is what we get when the folks making high-level technology decisions know approximately squat about the technology.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:27 am

I've read this story in a few places, along with Jason I wasn't too surprised.

Only unnerving aspect is that the researches didn't get shot on the spot for being terrorists. Only when our glorious governments know everything about everyone will we truely be safe! </sarcasm>
<<

jason

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:37 am

Yes. Obviously the inclination toward this sort of seditious behavior is something that should be caught when they are much younger so that it can be corrected with drugs and/or surgery.

Return to Wireless