[Article]-The IDA Pro Book

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:38 pm

[Article]-The IDA Pro Book

I met Ryan recently, and he instantly impressed me. Since then, he continues to do so. His knowledge is vast, but his desire to get his name out in the community has just begun to catch fire. This is the first of what will no doubt be many more projects for him on EH-Net. We're lucky to get him at this stage in his career, as I'm sure we couldn't afford him in a couple years.  ;)

Permanent link: [Article]-The IDA Pro Book
Review by Ryan Linn, CISSP, MCSE, GPEN

After attending DEFCON in August and seeing the overwhelming interest in this book, I was eager to dive into The IDA Pro Book by Chris Eagle.  Chris Eagle's team, School of Root, won the “Capture the Flag” event at DEFCON this year and Chris gave a presentation on CollabREate, a tool that integrates with IDA Pro to allow collaboration in reverse engineering (RE).  All of that together - with the fact that the book sold out – screamed that this book should quickly make it to the top of my list.

Once I had the book in-hand, the cover alone offered some insight into what was to come.  The quote on the front of the book is an endorsement from the creator of IDA Pro. The image on the front is a throwback to the Operation game by Milton Bradley, which reminds me of how I felt when I got started doing reverse engineering. I am not a professional Reverse Engineer or Malware Analyst, however, my coding background and my current position as a security professional at SAS affords the opportunity to dabble. This puts me in the perfect middle ground of being able to understand the material as well as assess its ability to teach.

Let the conversation begin...

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:56 am

Re: [Article]-The IDA Pro Book

Excellent review Ryan. I will definitely buy this book. I'm glad there is an alternative to the crap that Syngress publishes.
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:50 pm

Awesome write up Ryan your so Technosexual! Anyway keep up the good work and I will see you at Chicagocon!

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

punkrokk

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:47 pm

Keep bringing sexy back Ryan! How are you?
-=punkrokk=-
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:15 pm

Congrats Ryan on being Slashdotted. We had a little issue with getting proper credit, but the guys at Slashdot worked with us to rectify the problem. Either way, the author of the book and the review got the recognition they both deserved.  :)

http://books.slashdot.org/article.pl?si ... 29/1335225

Don
Last edited by don on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

jason

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:44 pm

I saw this up on slashdot, great review. I'll have to see if I can talk the publisher out of a copy :)

Return to Book Reviews