How to create a CD with some form of copy protection.

<<

dalepearson

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:26 am

How to create a CD with some form of copy protection.

First of all, we all know that nothing is 100% copy protected, but hear me out.
I am doing some volunteer work with a small charity, and they are creating a CD with PDF and JPG's on, and they will be selling these to help fund some of the charity.

They would like to where possible make these harder to copy, but still easy for a buyer to use. Obviously as a charity it needs to be very cheap / free, and fairly easy to produce, not mega volumes, but maybe 5 at a time.

I found something called SecurDisc, but it can only copy protect a pdf, and only does it on a DVD, and these needs to be a CD.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
<<

dalepearson

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:03 pm

Re: How to create a CD with some form of copy protection.

Just for information sharing. I found some software called "DiscKeeper BlackBox" that I think will do exactly what the charity needs.

However if anyone has experiance with anything else thats known to work, please feel free to share.
<<

Ketchup

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:57 pm

Copy protection tends to be pretty weak.  You can just DD the disc and you end up with another disc with the same copy protection software.

It's not quite what you asked, but what about encrypting the CD?  This way, anyone can freely copy the disc, but would need a key to decrypt the contents.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

dalepearson

Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:25 pm

The objective is a CD that can be sold to the local community and easy to use, but difficult for average Joe to make a copy of.

This software works really well actually. The files can only be view from the CD, copy them off the CD they dont work, try and copy the CD in a standard way and it fails.

The most important bit for a charity, only $70. Fingers crossed it covers everything they seemed to need.

Return to Other