[Article]-What the Splunk?

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:28 pm

[Article]-What the Splunk?

Long time EH-Net contributor offers up his first article. Well done, and we'll look for many more.

Permanent link: [Article]-What the Splunk?

By Bill Varhol, Security+, CEH, LPT

By now you’re probably wondering, ‘What in the world is Splunk?’ Well guess what? I have your answer. In its simplest statement, Splunk is by far one of the coolest log analysis/indexers available! Anything you have that generates logs of some shape, size, or form (and I really mean anything) can be sent to Splunk for indexing and future analysis.

Sure there are other things out there that do something similar, but nothing that indexes every piece of data the way Splunk does. By every piece, I mean you have the ability to search for IP addresses, time, date, web requests, error messages and more! This makes troubleshooting all sorts of different issues a breeze. Don’t believe me? Watch the demonstration video of ‘Search IT’ available from the Splunk Website. This is a great example of how powerful Splunk can be.

Let us know what you think and if we should do a follow-up review to drill down more with some more data and reporting on security incidents.

Don
Last edited by don on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:55 pm

Re: [Article]-What the Splunk?

Excellent write up BillV

Anyone in this forum have experience running splunk against 25-50 TBs of log data? I'm just wondering if it can handle that and how many separate servers you might have to spin up.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:08 pm

Re: [Article]-What the Splunk?

Submitted to digg:

http://digg.com/software/What_the_Splunk

Thanks in advance for voting for Bill's first, impressive article.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME

Return to /root