Where's the deterent?......

<<

RoleReversal

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:43 am

Where's the deterent?......

Just read this over at Dark Reading. Subject says it all.

Why do I work 60+ hour weeks trying to be one of the good guys?
<<

Simon

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:55 am

Re: Where's the deterent?......

Well...I can see a couple of reasons:

1.  You (by and large) make more money on the legit side of the fence.  The VAST majority of the black hat and script kiddie market is working for rates that we wouldn't even bother laughing at.

2.  You don't have to worry about spending 6 months in jail while you await trial and hope for a lenient judge.

Both of those are pretty big reasons for me, personally....#2 more than #1, but still....
C|EH, ECSA, C|EI
http://www.halock.com
<<

dalepearson

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:57 am

Because like a large majority of people in the InfoSec / Hacker community your are an ethical, stand up sorta guy.

As will all these things, the bad guys get heard about, the good guys rarely get mentioned.

It is always shocking when people do get caught and sentenced though, its no wonder there are so many crimes, sometimes seems the risk of getting caught, or something serious happen is slim.

I love it when people get life, but cant be let out before 5 years. When did 5 years mean life. Oh well.
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:00 pm

What do you all think the chances of this guy picking up where he left off are?
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:02 am

sgt_mjc wrote:What do you all think the chances of this guy picking up where he left off are?

Personally I think very slim. If that was me and I'd been given a punishment like that I'd be back out doing more illegal stuff than ever. After all, what's the harm?

Simon wrote:Both of those are pretty big reasons for me, personally....#2 more than #1, but still....

Agree 100%, just had some 'run-ins' with the criminal element of society thhis week which I think left me a bit jaded. Hopefully the usually jolly, law-abiding me will resurface shortly :)
<<

geekyone

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:17 pm

I sure wouldn't want to gamble with 14 years of my life to make a few quick bucks.  That guy would have really been screwed if the judge was having a bad morning and was pissed off.  He could have easily been in prison long enough that by the time he got out George Lucas would be making the 10th Indiana Jones... "Indiana Jones and the Lost Wheelchair".  ;)
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA

Return to News from the Outside World