HELIX on USB??

<<

dalepearson

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:39 am

HELIX on USB??

Hiya guys,

has anyone got, or know if you can make a bootable USB version of the HELIX Live CD.

I am trying to do more and more stuff just using my new Aspire One, so dont want to be carrying around external CD drives, when a USB fits so easily into the pocket.

Any info would be appreciated. Cheers.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:57 am

Re: HELIX on USB??

Dale,

I've not tried specifically with the Helix distro, but all USB setups I've played with I've found PenDriveLinux to have some good guides and advice.

With similar distros I've created a bootstrapped USB drive and copied the directories over from the Live install. Hasn't failed me so far.

btw, how you finding the Aspire One now? (Laptop died horribly and haven't gotten MSN reinstalled yet....)

RR
<<

dalepearson

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:29 am

R R,

thought I had not seen you online lately (get messenger installed).
I will have a look at PenDriveLinux and see how I get on.

The Aspire One is going well thanks, happy to use Linpus for general surfing, messaging etc, and got BT3 working properly from USB on it now, so far so good :)
Dell are releasing the Inspiron E now, so I am interested to see the official specs and hopefully not be to upset. :) I have taken my Aspire One apart to upgrade to 1.5GB, overkill probably but it had to be done :)
<<

RoleReversal

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:43 am

Glad to hear you got BT3 working nicely, puts the Aspire One back on my possibles lists (of course need to find the finance first....)

Let me know how you get on with USB-ising Helix, I've used to CD several times so a USB version could come in handy.

(And I'll get IM installed soon promise....One hell of week....)
<<

mialta

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:38 am

Have you tried this:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Has worked to get every distro I have thrown at it onto a USB thumbdrive including helix.

Mialta
<<

timmedin

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:43 pm

mialta wrote:Have you tried this:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Has worked to get every distro I have thrown at it onto a USB thumbdrive including helix.

Mialta

I'll second unetbootin. I've used it a number of times. I have a pile of LiveCDsUSBs laying around that I have used it on.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

ballydehob

Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:40 pm

I read this thread yesterday and wanted to set up Helix (V1.9-07) on a USB. I downloaded the latest unetbootin and followed the steps given, but when I boot to the Helix USB, I get the unetbootin splash with a regular Helix menu, and select Console.  I'm repeatedly get an error: "Can't find the HELIX filesystem. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell."  End of story.  Any help?
Thnx!
<<

hiddenillusion

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:40 pm

I kept getting an error when I used unetbootin and the Helix1.9 version but I read somewhere that I had to use the Helix2008R1.iso for it to work.  For whatever reason... it worked.  Try it with that version and it should work.
GCIH, ACE, OSCP, CCNA, CEH, CHFI, Security+

Return to Forensics