HACKERS ARE PEOPLE TOO

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:43 pm

HACKERS ARE PEOPLE TOO

This well done and fun documentary is helping to reclaim the word hacker, so what's not to like about that. It made its debut at Defcon 16 last weekend. EH-Net was happy to give permission to use some screen shots of our community, and they made it into the film (twice actually). We also made the credits. w00t!!

Go check it out. It's 43 minutes and only $10. Plus, all profits go to the Hacker Foundation.

This is the ever-evolving site for the film HACKERS ARE PEOPLE TOO. This documentary presents a portrait of the hacking community to average America. No, hackers are not all evil and out to steal your credit card. Yes, many of them are brilliant and even socially awkward. What makes a hacker a hacker? Find out how the hacking community defines itself in this film. Enjoy!

-Ashley Schwartau

http://www.hackersarepeopletoo.com

Don

PS - Pleasure to finally meet you face-to-face Ashley. Congrats and best of luck.
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

dalepearson

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:35 am

Re: HACKERS ARE PEOPLE TOO

I heard about this DVD, and as I couldnt make it to Defcon :( I ordered it as soon as it became available, its cheap as chips after all.

For any other UK guys and gals thinking of getting it, its £9.35 GBP including shipping so hardly breaking the bank.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:50 am

dalepearson wrote:For any other UK guys and gals thinking of getting it, its £9.35 GBP including shipping so hardly breaking the bank.

Cheers Dale, had just loaded the site in a new tab to see what postage would set me back. Guess you just saved me a few clicks for RSI ;)

Roll on pay-day....
<<

dalepearson

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:47 am

Well the DVD arrived today, and I just finished watching it.
I was impressed, its a great DVD, and it makes me wish I can make it to some of these CONS (wish they were not all in the US), and its good to hear fellow infosec guys and gals talking about the passion.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:12 pm

Must be delivery day in the UK :)

haven't had a chance to watch all of this yet, so far looks fairly cool.

HOWEVER, I just hit the pause button and ran upstairs (easier said than done with a sprained ankle) about five minutes in a bunch of hackers are explaining why hackers are great (slightly biased views but hey....) and there is a screen shot of someone scrolling through the Ethicalhacker.net forums :D

I'm with Dale, need some good conferences in the UK...
  • U. King Con?
  • Con England?
  • BritFest?
(I'm starting to think there are no UK cons cause you it's impossible to come up with a decent name ;) )
<<

p0et

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:03 pm

It's about the same where I am in Western Canada. We have a total of one Con here. CanSecWest which is about $2000 though. Doesn't look nearly as exciting as DefCon, ChicagoCon, or BlackHat Briefings though.  >:(
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

dalepearson

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:18 pm

RoleReversal wrote:
I'm with Dale, need some good conferences in the UK...
  • U. King Con?
  • Con England?
  • BritFest?
(I'm starting to think there are no UK cons cause you it's impossible to come up with a decent name ;) )

RR,

I have been giving this some thought, so you never know.... watch this space.
<<

LSOChris

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:39 am

From what I am told CanSecWest is a really good con, some real heavy hitters speak at that.

Return to Mass Media