CEH - ChicagoCon/Info Sec ?

<<

Dark_Knight

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:25 pm

CEH - ChicagoCon/Info Sec ?

Hi Guys,
I have been an IT professional for the past 5 years now where my focus has been on Software development. I would however like to get into the field of Security. The idea is to complement my programming skills with hands on knowledge of the IT security sector. In doing my research I came across the EC-Council's CEH certification and got interested. I have read several comments that state that the certification is a good starting point to get my feet wet. I have also read that the material covered is outdated and that a lot of the exploits no longer work. I think the negative review was in reference to v4 which has since been through 2 iterations.

So I am at a cross roads and would like some help to make an informed decision. I would like to do the course and am leaning towards a classroom/bootcamp setup.
The question I have is where should I do this course? I have narrowed it down to the InfoSec Institute and the ChicagoCon and have been in contact with the former. Their instructors seem to be the best with names like Jack Koziol, Dan Hestad, Bryce Galbraith, Andres Andreu, Trevor Hawthorn,and Nate Miller being bandied about. I have also been looking at the ChicagoCon and that seems to be very interesting.

So help me make a decision :)
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

geekyone

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:54 pm

Re: CEH - ChicagoCon/Info Sec ?

Welcome to EH-Net!  I don't know if you have had any exposure to IT Security during your career so it is hard to give you a thumbs up on the CEH as a starting place.  If you have some experience in IT security then yes the CEH training would be a good place to start.  On the other hand if you really haven't had to much exposure to security then the Security + certification is a better place to start.

Security + a is much more generalized IT security certification where you would be exposed to a wider base of information.  CEH training is specialized and concentrates on exactly what it sounds like "Ethical Hacking".  CEH begins teaching you the methods and tools used to perform penetration tests.  Without knowing more about your background I would personally recommend you go for Security + first then once you get that down move on to CEH training.

That being said as for which training institute to use InfoSec Institute or ChicagoCon that depends on what you are looking for.  If you want to just get the CEH certification and move on then I would recommend going with the InfoSec Institute.  With their training you could focus on just studying for the CEH exam.  You can spend eight or more hours a day in class then go home at night and study some more all week.  This method makes passing the test much easier.  If you are interested in getting your feet wet and getting some training.  As well as talking to and seeing a lot of cool things and people then you would be better off going to ChicagoCon.  There you get the "full" package you will get presentations from top IT Security professionals, a weeks worth of security training, and some good nights of drinking with the top IT Security professionals but this "full" package might make passing the CEH test at the end of the week more difficult.  Especially the "drinking" part.  ;)

Both are in my opinion good options and whichever you go with you should still make it a point to sign up for ChicagoCons conference only option.  That way you can meet a lot of the people on this forum and get
hear some great security presentations.

Can you tell that work is really really slow tonight?  LOL!
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:21 pm

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. My experience in IT security has been centered mainly around software development. However I have always been interested in computer security and have read some hacking material such as Hacking Exposed etc. So yeah my experience in IT security is limited.  I have been looking at the Security+ cert and a lot of reviews I have read concur with what your saying. But I would like hands on stuff, I would like to see the stuff I have read about in action thats how I want to be inducted. Hence my leaning towards the CEH cert.
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:29 pm

Welcome to EH-Net.

Pardon my biased opinion, but you actually get the best of both worlds at ChicagoCon. We offer the CEH course taught by Training Camp's Andrew Whitaker who wrote the Cisco Press book on Ethical Hacking. We also offer InfoSec Institute courses albeit their Advanced Hacking classes. If you look at the ChicagoCon site, all 3 of the advanced courses listed at the bottom are offered by the InfoSec Institute. Send me a PM with your contact info, and I'd be more than happy to talk to you personally.

Either way, let the InfoSec Institute know that we sent you.
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker