Lab

<<

dredlord

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:09 am

Lab

Hi everyone, my first post on this exelent forum. As im about to sit for the CEH bootcamp I'm reading the exam prep book in preparation. I want to set up a home lab to play around with. Should a windows xp , 2003 server and fedora VM be enough?. Should the VMs be fully patched or in a vergin install state?
<<

venom77

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:37 am

Re: Lab

That's a good start for studying for the CEH. You may also want to try and get your hands on something a little older as well, perhaps a Windows 2000 client or server. There are a lot of old exploits and such included in CEH that will not work on newer things. They are to show you the concept only.

What you have setup already will be a good starting point, should certainly be plenty for CEH studying only. Once you get beyond that, you may want to expand a little.

I would keep them at base installs, with no updates (for now). The recommended path is usually to start there and then start installing patches/updates one you've already compromised it. This will increase the security and allow you to practice getting into a more secure computer as you go along.

Good luck with the bootcamp and keep us updated :)

BillV
<<

dredlord

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:55 am

Re: Lab

Thanks for the info :D

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker