CEH -> GPEN Attempt

<<

venom77

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:46 pm

CEH -> GPEN Attempt

Not sure if anyone else has come across this, but it was posted in the EC-Council portal...

Free SANS GPEN test for active CEH

********  A Challenge/Gift for People Who have CEH Certifications ******* The new GPEN (GIAC Penetration Tester) Certification measures mastery of tools that are so up to date and measures pen testing skills so effectively that people who buy penetration testing have begun asking for it in potential pen testers.  As a gift to the CEH community, SANS is offering free testing to 50 active CEH holders who want to demonstrate that their skills cover the most up to date set of tools and effective pen testing procedures, as well.  The first 50 CEH's who ask will be allowed to take the exam at no cost.  If you want to take the exam, email me (apaller@sans.org).

BillV
<<

venom77

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:58 pm

Re: CEH -> GPEN Attempt

I wonder what the purpose of this offering is. Are they really just being generous to give free GPEN attempts to CEH holders? Are they hoping that CEH holders will not pass the GPEN? Or are they just trying to figure out some sort of comparison between CEH and GPEN quality?
<<

oneeyedcarmen

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:02 pm

I'm going with 2 out of 3...and it ain't the first one

p.s. - are we the only ones NOT at BlackHat/DefCon?
Reluctant CISSP, Certified ASS
<<

venom77

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:33 pm

Haha, sure would seem like it....

well, us and that other guy who can rename nameless ;)

Off-topic, but did you hear about the French reporters that were kicked out for sniffing traffic? There were two articles I saw, one about the reporters being kicked out and another from the perspective of one of the other reporters that saw them.

Reporters booted for hacking

Targeted by hackers at my table
Last edited by venom77 on Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:39 am

BillV,

I'll agree with Oneeyedcarmen's analysis. Think it is likely SANs trying to create some nice marketing figures "90% of other certified penetration testers can't pass the qualification...." etc.

I wonder how much access to the course material or time to prepare for the exam they are going to provide? (Or thinking unethically, whether the test engine may get tweaked)

Don't feel too bad about BH/Defcon, I'm stuck in the office too :'(
<<

geekyone

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:20 pm

My guess is they will probably run it just like their "challenge" certificates which means no access to any SANS training material you just have to study what you can find and take the test.  Even at that though it is a heck of a deal because it cost around $ 900.00 to take a SANS test "challenge".

I also agree with RoleReversal and Oneeyedcarmen that this is probably to demonstrate how much more material is covered in the GPEN training compared to the CEH.  I am sure that after taking the test they will ask the participants to write up a review/evaluation comparing the two.
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA
<<

venom77

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:32 am

Yeah, I agree.

Looking at the bulletin for GPEN, there are certainly some things listed there that aren't covered in CEH. In addition, I'm sure that GPEN goes much more in-depth with the topics that are in common.

I'd be surprised to find any CEH holder that hasn't had experience with everything listed in that bulletin though. Maybe they're underestimating just a little too far? I can certainly assume that the SEC-560 course is probably a little better than your standard CEH course, and probably more useful too. I can't say for certain since I have no experience taking it.

I did sign up to take this exam and was accepted. I'll update as I can. Did anyone else sign up?
<<

geekyone

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:51 am

I signed up and luckily managed to get the last slot.  I will also post what I find out.
<<

geekyone

Post Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:21 pm

For everyone who managed to get in on this I just scheduled my exam and GIAC gives you two free practice tests with the GPEN attempt.  They normally do this with all their challenge exams but with the free attempt I assumed they wouldn't but they surprised me!  ;D
<<

venom77

Post Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:40 pm

That's pretty sweet!
<<

kernelinux

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi, this is my first post.

I am a CEH and I`m going to do the GPEN exam (GPEN - CEH Challenge), any of oyu knows where I can find ebooks or something to prepare for this certification???

Thanks!
<<

venom77

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:49 pm

Yeah, you can use two things:

Certification Bulletin
And as previously stated, the practice tests

The bulletin pretty much tells you what you will need to know for the test. Use it as a prep-guide and then once you've scheduled the exam, use the practice tests.

BillV
<<

geekyone

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:00 pm

I managed to pass the GPEN exam this morning!  Woot!  I am very excited especially since I work night shift and usually get up at 2:00 PM but had to get up at 9:00 AM to test so I am overdosed on caffeine right now!  Once I stop jittering from the excessive coffee I will post some of the insights I got from the exam.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:11 pm

Well done & looking forward to your insights.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

shednik

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:23 pm

Congrats on the pass, definitely looking forward to the review!
CCNA, MCP, A+, N+

WIP: Masters of Infosec, CEH, & Mastering C
Next

Return to General Certification