Vista Rant

<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:50 pm

Vista Rant

So, I've been a lifelong user of windows and linux as a secondary OS. I've never been much of an early adopter, however once SP1 was available and I received a free copy of Vista Ultimate at an MS event, I said what the heck. Time for an upgrade. I could not have been more disappointed. Aside from running slower then XP, I suffered from occasional app crashes and for some reason my MS wireless keyboard likes to stop working. And of course, before you say its a hardware issue, I'm running a Wolfdale 8500 with 4G of DDR2 and a 9600GT, which never has any issues when I boot to Ubuntu. So as much as I tried to polish it, after 6 months of usage I'm declaring Vista a turd.

Any one else have similar experiences? I know some people love it, some people hate it. I'm starting to think the vista sunshine pumpers are only trying to justify the cash they paid for it. I for one am downgrading to XP, the only loss IMO is losing DX10 support and the improved photo gallery.
<<

geekyone

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Vista Rant

Welcome to life with Vista!  I completely agree with you Vista is slow, buggy, and just not worth upgrading to.  It does have a few features I like better but not enough to make up for the problems I have with it.

Having said that I do sometimes wonder if Vista is really as bad as I think or if it is that XP is just too good?
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA
<<

venom77

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:38 pm

oleDB, I'm with you too. I tried Vista out for about 3 or 4 months and had similar experiences... system slow, strange errors and other odd problems it seemed. I switched over to Kubuntu primarily on my laptop for a while but eventually switched back over to an XP/Linux dual-boot.
<<

Ketchup

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:47 pm

Yep, Vista officially sucks.  Network performance is abysmal, even with all those supposed performance patches.  I am also not a fan of the aero interface.  It's cool for the first few times you use it.  At some, you just want to click and get where you are going without having to wait for the window to zoom in.  I found myself turning everything that Vista introduced off.  Then I put XP back :)

Anyone else thinks Office 2007 sucks as well?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

RobMongoose

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:37 am

I've had no worse problems with it than I had with XP when that first came out. If I remember correctly, XP couldn't even burn a CD when it was first released and had a multitude of compatibility issues and bugs. Since then software and drivers have been written specifically for XP and things have improved. It's matured into a very useable system.

Vista does have its problems, but I've been using it for about a year now with no problems severe enough to make me scrub it. I neither love it nor hate it, it's just there, and we need to get used to it because it is Microsofts main desktop OS at the mo and XP is eventually going to disappear - it's already starting to be fazed out.

Vista will improve and mature, and people are going to have to get used to it. I think the main issue most people have is that the interface and layout is dramatically different to the last few versions of Windows, but once you get your head around this it's ok.

I'm not a Vista fanboy by any means, just trying to offer a flip side to the arguments thus far...
Mutterings of an evil genius in training -
http://robmongoose.blogspot.com/
<<

RoleReversal

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:41 am

Rob,

I'll second that as I seem to have a similar experience of Vista to you. Not great/not terrible. As you state Vista is Microsoft's flagship OS and it's market share within the end-user space is increasing.

I started using Vista specifically so I would encounter all the bugs and issues that end users will face. It's the only way to know how to fix or bypass them. Plus I am impressed by some of the security enhancements Vista offers (over XP, I don't want to get into the OS holy wars). I sleep better at night knowing my grandparents aren't running everything as an administrative user and they need to read any pop-ups before blindling handing over the keys to the kingdom.

(As a side note any of my 'clients' [friends/family etc.] know that they will get no support if they cannot tell me what a pop-up box said and why they decided to click through anyway. Number of incidents has reduced since I've introduced this system)
<<

dalepearson

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:35 pm

I run Vista 32 and 64bit version, and the main issues as ever with any OS is drivers. I tried to go 100% Linux a couple of years ago and always had issues with wifi drivers. So I use Linux for security related tasks, and Windows for day to day, reports etc, and an XP build on a laptop from time to time.

As already stated people said XP was pants when it first came out, and I remember seeing an interview with Bill Gates, and he freely admitted what a better way to user test an OS than to sell it with the flaws, lol.

Sure there will be posts saying bring back Vista when Midori is released.  ;D
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:32 pm

lol dale,

I think you hit it right on the head. I think we have had XP too long to willing switch over and endure the growing pains that we endured with XP. With that being said, it reminds me of how we mostly view Bill Clinton as a good President. I don't and I still remember how he purgered himself to Congress and the American people. I am not so naive as to think that no politician does that, but he got caught and kept on with the lie instead of taking Hillary's "misremembered" approach. Oh well, what is the world coming to?
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

iSmith

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:22 pm

Vista is butt ugly and slow as a snail compared to ubuntu 8.04 hardy heron.
In my eyes, your operating system is as solid as swiss cheese.
<<

oneeyedcarmen

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:46 pm

iSmith wrote: >:( >:(you all think that vista is so bad. you're hopeless if you can't keep with the times.

lolololololol

Thanks for making my Friday  ;D
Reluctant CISSP, Certified ASS
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:41 am

iSmith wrote:Vista is butt ugly and slow as a snail compared to ubuntu 8.04 hardy heron.

Will the unethical, naughty, Vista-hating individual who has hi-jacked iSmith's account please stand up and hand back control of the account to it's rightful owner?....
<<

iSmith

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:45 am

RoleReversal wrote:
iSmith wrote:Vista is butt ugly and slow as a snail compared to ubuntu 8.04 hardy heron.

Will the unethical, naughty, Vista-hating individual who has hi-jacked iSmith's account please stand up and hand back control of the account to it's rightful owner?....

[lonely female voice singing a solo.]
"It's raining...It's pouring...My Vista life is boring me to tears..."

You see, i just got vista sp1. It increased my boot time by 200%. then i got my free ubuntu cd that i ordered three months ago. It is much more beautiful and simple than vista, plus there are tho great 3D effects that we ubuntu users can boast of. (press win+tab to get something like flip3d but alot more elegant and friendly.) Ubuntu also comes with more bundled software. And if you are proficient at using the CLI you will notice that it is alot more elegant and efficient than the GUI.

So no h4x0r h4ck3d int0 my u$3r acc0unt, but th|s is my fr@nk opinion.
<<

iSmith

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:04 am

Official notice. iSmith is no longer a Vista fanboy, he is an Ubuntu fanboy.(The argument has been made that ubuntu take the best elements of all the popular OS'es)

Return to Other