best place to ask about keyloggers

<<

chip

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:59 pm

best place to ask about keyloggers

As a netork admin totally devoid of hacking experience, I thought I would ask a question bordering on ethical action.
I have a daughter who is not on the "right" track. There have been some seriously "unethical" things on her new computer. I find those things mostly password protected. Seriously concerned, I thought of placing a keylogger on her computer to find out how out of control this is. Of course telling or asking has netted more fight than warrented.
Ethical? Or not.
For those of you who would agree with my approach, what is a good keylogger? For those of you who don't agree, what is another aproach to provide me with oversight of bad activity.
I know, this is a problem for many. I am struggling with it and would like some feedback. Good or bad.  :-\
<<

geekyone

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: best place to ask about keyloggers

Ethical / Not Ethical that could be argued all day.  It all boils down to the fact that she is a minor (uhh she is a minor right?) under your care.  You have the right and some would say duty to ensure her online experiences are both appropriate and safe.  Personally I am a big privacy nut so normally I am against keyloggers but in this case they would be appropriate.  Here is a site all about keeping kids safe on the Internet.  They list commercial computer monitoring software that go even beyond just keylogging.

http://www.safecomputerkids.com/
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA
<<

Kev

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:20 pm

Placing a keylogger is a mistake in this situation in my opinion. I have seen this before and the results are never good. What if you get the passwords and find something you dont like on the computer? What is the next step? You confront your daughter and tell her you broke into her computer and spied on her? Yeah, thats going to go over just great. You would have been better off just demanding access from the beginning. If she refusses then you take away the computer, but never break into it. Sure she will "hate" you, but she will at least see you as up front and honest and not sneaky. Oh the sweet life of a parent, lol. 
<<

apollo

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:35 pm

I agree with Kev on this one.  One reason the keylogger may be a bad idea is your likelihood of getting caught.  If the machine has AV, a keylogger that you pick today may get picked up by an AV signature tomorrow, and if it comes back to you, I think getting caught trying to spy may end up being worse than actually spying.  If this is something that you are intent on , and the hardware is a desktop, you may want to consider a hardware keylogger if you do anything.  Most people I know rarely look behind their PC and the hardware keylogger will most liekly never show up so you are less likely to get caught.
CISSP, CSSLP, MCSE+Security, MCTS, CCSP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCWN, NOP, OSCP, Security+

Return to Forensics