Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:07 am

Last Hope: Club Mate

If there was one thing that I would say was a minor let down, it is the absence of Jolt.  It just doesn't feel like HOPE without one.  Apparently, I am just a little nostalgic though, since a new drink has made its way into the hacking culture, it's name is Club Mate http://club-mate.us/.

Club Mate is the color of beer, and tastes like a watered down ginger ale.  It has a descent amount of caffeine and less sugar than most soft drinks (about 27 grams per bottle, which at hope is a .5 liter bottle).  I overheard in the elevator that after you finish one, you will be hooked for life.  I would not say that I am hooked for life, but I am willing to drink it the rest of the con, and see how I feel towards the end about it.

#1 The first club mate was okay, I was expecting something that tasted very earthy, thankfully it was much milder than I anticipated.  It did give me that little boost I was looking for to get me through the day.  Overall I can tolerate it, but will be keeping my eye open for a Jolt (yes I could pick up a Jolt at Rite Aid, but it just isn't the same; and more importantly won't be as cold).

#2 The second was drank in record time, it is over 95 degrees in New York and at that temp if it's drinkable, then it is perfect. 

#3 After quenching my thirst, I focused on the actual taste, which wasn't bad.  I really started to enjoy the club mate, and one thing is for sure the colder it is, the better it tastes.

In conclusion, I am not hooked on the mate, but I would definitely drink it again. The little amount of sugar and considerable amount of caffeine make it a great alternative to sodas and sports drinks.  Yet another way in which the good people of HOPE continue to expand our horizons.
Last edited by linuxstarved on Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.