Online College Courses?

<<

Ink

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:31 am

Online College Courses?

I would like to go to an online college to get the neccecary certifications
and degrees needed to become an Ethical Hacker. I have searched nearly 20-30 colleges online and haven't found one that has all the necessary
requirements that I was hoping for.
:-[ :'( :-X ??? >:( :( :o
I've just graduated highschool, and I don't have a clear enough
understanding on what all I need to become an Ethical Hacker (education
wise) and would ask if you could give me a little bit of insight to what
courses I could take, and what is out there. If you know of any colleges
with online courses that are necessary (or optional) to becoming an Ethical
Hacker, I would greatly appreciate some feed back. Or maybe a list of
possible courses I could look for to take, if you aren't sure of any
colleges.

Thank you for your time and patience!

-Ink-
Stress-The condition that results when the mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living crap out of some idiot who desperately needs it - The point in time when you think "Sometimes I really wish hitting someone with a chair was considered the 'high road'."
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Online College Courses?

is there any reason is has to be online?  actually going to a real college and experiencing "college" things are good from a life experience point of view.
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:25 pm

I've done both the "real" college thing and the online version. If you know what you want to do, then go to a "real" college. If you don't know what you want or you just want to go join the work force, going back to school may be more in line with going online. There are a lot of IT jobs out there that do not require a degree and would be a good way to get your hands dirty within the IT world. You could also look at an associates at a two year college. Best advice I can give you, is take your time and be sure you are setting out to do what you want to do. It took me 12 years to figure it out.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

LSOChris

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:01 am

exactly there is no rush.

i still vote for real school if you can swing it.  unfortunately a "real" college degree still pulls more weight than an online one and I dont think at the end of it you would be saying you didnt think it was worth it.
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:45 am

ChrisG,

Far be it for me to disagree with you, but prior to my current IT job, I worked for the Community College of the Air Force. Having done that, we see transcripts from all over the US and a few colleges outside and it all comes down to accreditation. Basically there are requirements for a school to be accredited whether nationally or regionally. Most schools and businesses give greater weight to regionally accredited because the instructor requirements are a little more stringent. That being said, it doesn’t matter online or off so long as the school is accredited. Now yes, some businesses may have a preference to one or the other because they don’t understand online, but the school must still meet the accreditation requirements established by the accrediting body. A hospital may not hire nurse that did their degree all online since there was no patient interaction, but an accounting firm may not really care where you went to school.

Anyways, it all boils down to GO TO AN ACCREDITED SCHOOL. Good luck.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:36 am

Hey man I went to Central Piedmont community College in Charlotte North Carolina and attending Eastern Carolina University right now.  They are both awsome schools and are teaching me a lot.  But to tell you the truth I learnt most of the stuff from my at home lab, got about 12 computers and a nice Cisco setup got to love having a pops that knows a guy that goes fishing with the guy that owns Cisco :D woot.  but anyways the combined knowledge of these schools, browsing my local barns and noble book stores books, online forums such as this, and the great columns and tutorials people put out.  The more you read the more you will learn :)
CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:39 am

Goes to show; its not what you know, but who you know.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

LSOChris

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:19 am

i've been beating around the bush about it but since everyone is too dense.

go to a real school to meet GIRLS! (or boys if that's your thing), interact with people, drink, experiment, be irresponsible, etc.

before you know it you'll wake up old, go out and enjoy while you can.

oh and do it at an accredited school.
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:29 pm

Heh, well put Chris.  Going back to college... almost makes me wish I was single again.  Almost.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:50 pm

I was working full time and had a family when I went back. Online worked great for me.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:13 pm

Yeah, I'm currently in my 2nd time through college.  About 10 years ago I majored in Intercultural Studies, with a minor in World Religions.  Try finding a major specific job with those!  Hehe...  Now I'm just working steadily toward a BS in Computer Science, and working full time.  No spawn though, which makes it simpler.
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:30 pm

Yeah though I wouldn't change my path through life for anything. If I had it all to do over though, I wuold do my first two a a community college before doing the BS thing.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:00 pm

That's actually the way I'm doing it.  Cheaper.  I'm grabbing two AA's at a local Community college in tandem, (almost done) and then transfering over to a connected branch of a big 4 year.  Due to the collaborative nature of the two schools... all the credits transfer easily, and I'll have about 40 credits left before I get my BS in computer science.
<<

Ink

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:57 pm

Well, thank you for all your opinions, but I wasn't really looking for a debate on Real vs. Online - LoL ;D :-[ :-\ 

For the record, I'm not dead set on online college courses, but I do want to know what kind of things I should look into studying. Actual courses. I'm not in a position to be exposed to a lot info, and I was looking for some one who could give me some insight on what on earth it is I need to look for. As embarrassing as it is please take the term 'newbie' seriously. More like runt of the family when it comes to hand-me-down technology.  :( ::) :P I can usually figure things out pretty quickly, and I'm good with computers: We had a small computerII class and I basically taught it while I took it because the teacher would never show up (but we were still required to turn in work) and half the other students hated computers and only took the class cause they were on advanced diploma. -.- Unpaid labor. If I weren't amongst friends I would have felt like a maid.

Oh and not to worry: I've gotten a looooong talk on accredited vs. unaccredited schools, from the people at my old school. So no worries on decisions about that.

OFF SUBJECT:

Oh and ChrisG, who said:

i've been beating around the bush about it but since everyone is too dense.

go to a real school to meet GIRLS! (or boys if that's your thing)...

Well, considering I'm a girl, meeting boys is definitely much more of my thing.  ;D I like asians, but I'm not picky.  :P :D LoL - but I'm not looking for a relationship right now, I'm looking for college info! *puts on determined face*  >:( Hm! Yeah!
LoL
Stress-The condition that results when the mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living crap out of some idiot who desperately needs it - The point in time when you think "Sometimes I really wish hitting someone with a chair was considered the 'high road'."
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:11 am

if you want to do computer security stuff then pick one that is a NSA center of excellence.  all those should be accredited

http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academia/caemap.c ... D=10.1.1.2

not sure about any online ones but there are some smaller and polys in there.

edit...

take that back, pretty sure norwich (at least their masters online is) but i wasnt too impressed with them.

also keep in mind your learning style too.  if you are someone that needs to have someone teach stuff to you, the online may be difficult.
Last edited by LSOChris on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Other