The best antenna for cracking wep!

<<

Kev

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:13 pm

The best antenna for cracking wep!

The question concerning which card to get that works best for cracking wep seems to come up from time to time on this forum so I thought it might be helpful if I posted what I have found to be the best. I spend a lot of time testing wireless Cards and antennas that work best for cracking wep.  I am surprised about the amount of cards I have accumulated over the years. I have often found that wireless antennas that connect to your laptop via USB usually work the best, regardless of trying to crack wep or just connect to an open router.  In all my testing, the Alfa AWUS036H is hands down the best I have used.  At 500mw its range and power is impressive. For Backtrack enthusiast, I should mention that its works right out of the box with Backtrack 3 final.   Most importantly, it injects packets with amazing proficiency. I am cracking 128 bit wep consistently in less than 12 minutes! You can buy it for as little as $55 and that makes it a deal compared to some set ups.  I really only have good things to say about this antenna and recommend it highly!

http://www.tuto-fr.com/en/tutorial/mate ... etwork.php
Last edited by Kev on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

dalepearson

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: The best antenna for cracking wep!

Kev,

thanks for the post. I have heard good things about these, and have been looking for a decent USB wifi card. I ordered one the other day, so look forward to testing it when it arrives.

Have you used any Yagi Antenna or Cantenna with this card with positive results?

Dale
<<

Kev

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:07 pm

Hey Dale,

Yes I have used them, but for field work I found them too cumbersome, at least the ones I tried. Cantennas can be good but are dependent on the card you use. The UBIQUITI SRC 300mW is a good choice for that, but you will spend more money in the long run and pointing that thing out your car window always feels a little weird, lol.  But for Kismet I like a little more omni directional when searching for APs. I would be surprised if someone that does wireless auditing in the field didnt feel the Alpha answered most of their needs. One of my favorite sites for antennas is :

http://www.wlanparts.com/

<<

dalepearson

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:55 am

Thanks Kev,

the device arrived today, will test it out later. I assume you need both USBs connected to power this beast :)
<<

Kev

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:57 pm

Yes you need both usb connections to get that 500 mw. Let me know if you end up with the same great results I have had. Happy Hacking!
<<

dalepearson

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:07 am

Hiya Kev,

it certainly is an impressive piece of kit, the range is awesome.
Certainly no regrets with the purchase.

Dale
<<

Marshel007

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:29 am

500mw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man this can cook my brain, is that safe.
<<

Kev

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:54 am

You wanted to live forever?  ;D
<<

mobzi

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:11 pm

Hi guys, whateva you people have put up there it has definitely finalized my decision to purchase something worthwhile. I'm using dell vostro 1400 with Dell/BCM 4311 MINI card - yeah the one big $h!t that's no where near to crack any sort of wifi stuff. so just coz of that i've been reading a lot of stuff out there. Now I've two concerns to which i'd expect some replies & i'd truly appreciate that:

1) (especially for KEV coz of "the amount of cards he's accumulated over the years") has anyone tried: WUSB300N by LinkSys.

2) why most of the sites show lack of support / somewhat discourage you for USB adapters

3) Did anyone get successful for running AIRMAGNET v7.5 or later with this ALPHA 500mv monster?

thanx
<<

dalepearson

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:56 am

The problem with lack of support seems common with all Linux type systems, in my experiance it has always been the thing that is difficult to get to work and run in a supportable manner. However more driver sets are available so I believe its less of an issue.

As for airmagnet, I have not used it myself, but as long as the OS can see and function with the Alpha I dont see why it wouldnt work.
<<

mobzi

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:05 pm

thanks 'dalepearson' for the reply

i really wanted to & am still looking forward to hear from KEV. anyway the airmagnet has its own list of compatible cards and none of them are usb!!!

secondly i'm in desperate need of an opinion for WUSB300N from anybody out there as this one's having dual antenna.(ofcourse non-detachable) & it's 802.11N so its good investment as for scalability.

today i tried BT3 and as per my expectations the DELL/BCM 4311 was no where to be found. man it sucks!

guys i know am a newbie but this is my second request with the hope of some serious assistance

thanks in advance
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:20 pm

atheros cards seem to be well supported.  you cant buy one of those?
<<

Kev

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:21 pm

Yes the atheros chip work very well with aircrack.  The problem isnt with USB but whether someone took the time to write a driver to support it. No the Alpha will not work with airmagnet, because the amount of drivers written for that tool seems limited so you are stuck using whats on their list.  I guess they figure if you are paying that kind of money, you can afford to go out and buy one of their supported cards. Airopeek does give support to the Linksys WUSB600N but it doesn't have the same power as the 300N. 

I was really only mentioning something that I found worked great for cracking wep and works great with tools like aircrack and kismet. As far as testing security from a hackers perspective, there are no better tools to be found, even including those that cost $3000 plus. I still like to attack a network with the tools that most hackers use. Tools like CommView, Airmagnet or Airopeek are great for monitoring a wireless lan security from a defensive point of view , but are not really hard core attack applications.
<<

KenK

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:53 am

Hello all,

New here with questions

I have the Alfa AWUS036H and find it works great with Windows XP.
I also have the SRC 300mW pcmcia card.  I find it far more sensistive
than the SRC.

When you say it works right out of the box with backtrack,  I can't seem
to get mine to work.  I have backtrack 3 and it does not see it.
I open a shell and typr iwconfig and it's not there.

At the backtrack site they talk about drivers for it to work.  So far I have tried
what they state but no luck.

I know nothing about linux but would really like to use this usb adapter like
I use the SRC with backtrack for airodump, aircrack, etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
Ken

Kev wrote:The question concerning which card to get that works best for cracking wep seems to come up from time to time on this forum so I thought it might be helpful if I posted what I have found to be the best. I spend a lot of time testing wireless Cards and antennas that work best for cracking wep.  I am surprised about the amount of cards I have accumulated over the years. I have often found that wireless antennas that connect to your laptop via USB usually work the best, regardless of trying to crack wep or just connect to an open router.  In all my testing, the Alpha AWUS036H is hands down the best I have used.  At 500mw its range and power is impressive. For Backtrack enthusiast, I should mention that its works right out of the box with Backtrack 3 final.   Most importantly, it injects packets with amazing proficiency. I am cracking 128 bit wep consistently in less than 12 minutes! You can buy it for as little as $55 and that makes it a deal compared to some set ups.  I really only have good things to say about this antenna and recommend it highly!

http://www.tuto-fr.com/en/tutorial/mate ... etwork.php

<<

Kev

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:55 am

Are you using Backtrack 3 final? The Alfa works fine on 3 different laptops I have tested it on with Backtrack 3 final with no special configuration and no special install of drivers. Makes sure Backtrack recognizes your usb ports on your particular laptop. 
Last edited by Kev on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Wireless