May 5, 2008
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) is an easy-to-use tool that helps small and medium businesses determine their security state in accordance with Microsoft security recommendations and offers specific remediation guidance. Improve your security management process by using MBSA to detect common security misconfigurations and missing security updates on your computer systems. Built on the Windows Update Agent and Microsoft Update infrastructure, MBSA ensures consistency with other Microsoft management products including Microsoft Update (MU), Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), Systems Management Server (SMS), System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) 2007, and Small Business Server (SBS). Used by many leading third party security vendors and security auditors, MBSA on average scans over 3 million computers each week. Join the thousands of users that depend on MBSA for analyzing their security state.
MBSA 2.1 is now available
In order to provide support for Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, 64-bit scan tool and vulnerability assessment check support, new Windows Embedded support, and compatibility with the latest versions of the Windows Update Agent (WUA) Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) 2.1 is now available.
What is MBSA 2.1?
MBSA 2.1 is an update to MBSA 2.0.1 to provide full Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 support, general improvements and customer-requested enhancements.
Will I notice a difference when I run MBSA 2.1?
By customer request, the automatic distribution of the latest Windows Update Agent (WUA) client to client computers scanned by MBSA has been disabled in MBSA 2.1. This may prevent MBSA from successfully scanning computers that do not have the latest WUA client installed. Administrators and security auditors will want to select the option to "Configure computers for Microsoft Update and scanning prerequisites" in order to improve security scan success.
Note: Unless specifically noted, all references to MBSA 2.0 in the MBSA TechNet pages also apply to MBSA 2.1.
New Features found in MBSA 2.1:
- Support for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008
- Updated graphical user interface
- Full support for 64-bit platforms and vulnerability assessment (VA) checks against 64-bit platforms and components
- Improved support for Windows XP Embedded platform
- Improved support for SQL Server 2005 vulnerability assessment (VA) checks
- Automatic Microsoft Update registration and agent update (if selected) using the graphical interface or from the command-line tool using the /ia feature
- New feature to output completed scan reports to a user-selected directory path or network share (command-line /rd feature) Windows Server Update Services 2.0 and 3.0 compatibility
Download it here.