Help ! in wireless routers routing to port 80

<<

teamer

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:23 am

Help ! in wireless routers routing to port 80

Hi mates , this is my first post in this forumalthough i have registered some days ago ...

I have an accout in no-ip.com and an apachi server running on my windows (i hate windows) which is connected through a wireless router to the internet using broadband connection (adsl) . the problem is that i can configure my rounter by pointing IE to port #80 , but i can't route incoming connections from WAN through the router to the apachi service on port#80 runnin on that same windows .

i use TENDA wireless router , i have set the port 80 to rout from WAN to my windows port 80 through the wireless router ... but it DOES NOT !!!

any solutions ? configurations ? maybe if i can set the configuration port of the router to another port (88 maybe) , it will allow routing to port 80 to m windows ??? how can i do that in the tenda router ???

sorry mates , maybe my english is so bad , or that am confused and can't describe the problem well , but if you understood what i've typed so far , please help !

Thank you
TeAmEr
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:34 pm

Re: Help ! in wireless routers routing to port 80

Port Forwarding May Be An Option Here?
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

venom77

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:59 pm

Have you tried connecting the Apache server directly to your broadband connection to make sure you can access it on port 80 across the Internet? Are you able to access it internally on 80? If not, perhaps a misconfiguration. If so, could it be possible that your ISP is blocking packets destined for port 80? It's not uncommon for an ISP to do something like this (thought I've never heard of inbound port 80 blocked) if you're using a residential account instead of a business account.

BillV
<<

jason

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:11 am

If you can configure your router by hitting port 80 from the outside, then this may be your problem (and also a security problem). If this is the case, then your router config page may be trumping your port forwarding. Try setting the router config port to something other than 80 and see if this helps.

Also, if you're trying to hit your no-ip.com page from the inside, you may not be getting the connection that you think you are, or any at all. Some routers will do strange things if the address that you're trying to hit resolves back to the address of the external router interface.
<<

venom77

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:24 am

jason wrote:If you can configure your router by hitting port 80 from the outside, then this may be your problem (and also a security problem). If this is the case, then your router config page may be trumping your port forwarding. Try setting the router config port to something other than 80 and see if this helps.

Haha, I'll second that suggestion. I apparently missed that in the original post. Good call.
<<

jason

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:06 pm

It might also pay to run a port scan from the outside just to see what ports you really have open. Shields Up is handy for this.

http://www.grc.com/intro.htm
<<

teamer

Post Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:55 am

jason wrote:If you can configure your router by hitting port 80 from the outside, then this may be your problem (and also a security problem). If this is the case, then your router config page may be trumping your port forwarding. Try setting the router config port to something other than 80 and see if this helps.

Also, if you're trying to hit your no-ip.com page from the inside, you may not be getting the connection that you think you are, or any at all. Some routers will do strange things if the address that you're trying to hit resolves back to the address of the external router interface.

Thanks jason , i solved it (acually i did nothing !!!) i found that when accesing my router from internal network via wireless or lan cable , port 80 will be the configuration port on the router , but when the connection comes from the moded , it is routed to my apache running on that windows platform (i still hate windows) . thanks guys  ;D
<<

jason

Post Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:05 pm

Glad to hear that you solved it. The difference between what's listening externally and internally can often be confusing.

Return to Hardware