Part Time Teaching, how did you get a foot in??

<<

dalepearson

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:56 pm

Part Time Teaching, how did you get a foot in??

Hiya Guys,

as you can see I dont post to much, but I do look on lots of forums and do lots of readings, and I really should contribute more, and I will. This leads me onto my question.

I am in the UK, but I dont think its really matters for this question.
Now I dont claim to be some Ubber Guru or anything, but I have been working in Networking and Security for a fair few years now, so I must know something, right? :)

Anyway I would really like to give something back, and help to develop the professionals of the future. So I am thinking perhaps I can add some value by doing some teaching / lecturing at local college or university to give the students some of my experiance and expertise, and possibly help focus their direction.

I wonder if any of your guys have done something similar, and if so how you went about getting your foot in the door. I am thinking about contacting my old lectures (if they are still there as it was about 11 years ago I was there) and asking them if I could add some value to the lessons.

I am not particularly looking to make some money, I just feel I could help out others, give some real world scenarios, learn from the students, and perhaps put myself under some pressure with the questions they might pose.

So any hints and tips would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance guys.
<<

dalepearson

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Part Time Teaching, how did you get a foot in??

Update :

For those of you who listened to Don's recent podcast, you will know he speaks about knowing and using your "Super Power". Well mine is abit like Dons, I ask people for stuff, and due to my nature of getting on with everyone, and being a likable guy, they usually do it.

So I called up my college where I used to around 12 years ago, told them what I have been doing since I left, what I am about, what I have to offer. They were very impressed, and couldnt believe the timing of my communication with them.

They are launching a new HND (For those outside the UK, this is like a low level degree, that you can then do an additional top up to make it a full degree) course in Networking, that features some security topics.

Well they have asked if I would come and give some talks, and perhaps set some assignments and perhaps give some lessons.

This is just great, now I just need to work out how I can fit it around my work as some of it will be a few hours during the working day. I am really looking forward to the challenge, and helping future wanna be IT bods.

So to conclude, if you have been sat about thinking about doing something similiar, have faith in yourself and give it a go, you never know someone just might say YES.  :)
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:01 pm

And that, my friends, is how it's done!

Awesome news.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:16 pm

Wow! Great job, man. Another inspiring example. Congrats! :)
<<

dalepearson

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:25 pm

The course starts in September, so I am going to meet with some of the tutors, and talk more about my ideas, so I will update more as I go.

Also dont be alarmed if I ask for some suggestions. I think it will be quite a challenge, as some of these people will have little IT experiance, so delivery and detail will be critical. My main aim is to be informative, and have the students have a great time.

We all know there is nothing worse than a boring lecture, or course.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:44 pm

Nicely done boss, hope it goes well ;)

Return to Career Central