RoleReversal

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:49 am

Re: HOW TO HACK GMAIL

::) simple. use a packet sniffer. Next
<<

jimbob

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:02 am

sayonara.yoga wrote:How can i hack Gmail.

Hi and welcome to ethicalhacker.net.

This site is called ethicalhacker.net because it is devoted to ETHICAL hacking. You request doesn't sound all that ethical, it sounds illegal more than anything else. Perhaps you can elaborate in your request if you think it's within the realm of ethical hacking.

Jimbob
<<

gradian

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:22 am

First of all I have to agree with Jimbob. This is an "Ethical Hacking" site. I would think twice before posting stuff like this. It really sound malicious when someone comes out and says "I want to hack gmail". Second It's gmail... Google is very secure so good luck! Intercepting the passwords will do you no good because they are encrypted. You might be able to catch any chatting, but that's if the user wasn't smart and forced the site to connect via SSL. i.e. change the http to https.
You can't defend. You can't prevent. The only thing you can do is detect and respond.
(Bruce Schneier)
<<

gradian

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:28 am

Also, you do need a packet sniffer like RoleReversal said, but I would research public key and private key encryption and in order to crack the passwords you do get from sniffing the traffic would require you to get goggles private key.. I don't see that happening.. but hey, anythings possible.
You can't defend. You can't prevent. The only thing you can do is detect and respond.
(Bruce Schneier)
<<

sayonara.yoga

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:13 am

hi all

i know very well that this is not ethical hacking activity.
but i am working as network administrator.and we have a information that some
user send confidentational data to out side of our organozation.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:25 am

sayonara.yoga wrote:hi all

Sayonara.yoga,

if this is the case then you may be able to contact Google direct to determine if your confidential information is there, but I suspect you may need smoking gun evidence and possibly a police warrant.

Alternatively if you have information related to a specific individual you may be able to contact them directly and request that they show your their account. They may subscribe to 'nothing to hide....', of course if they are smart then any evidence will be deleted so access to their gmail account will not be of any use.

Finally even though it is a corporate network and corporate information I would advise reviewing your policies and/or contracts as it may still be illegal to sniff the passwords from the network. This could potentially get both your self and your employer into a whole heap of trouble.

As others have said, gmail should be encrypted therefore merely sniffing the traffic on your proxy may not be sufficient. I do not believe this is the most logical, legal or practical approach, but without knowing your environment better it is difficult to suggest a better course of action.

If it is causing problems and data leakage then you could/should review corporate policy and block access to gmail et.al. just be aware that in this day and age a sufficiently privileged insider will usually be able to find some way of removing data from safe storage. Often improving the audit-trail capabilities of your environment is enough to stop insiders doing unwanted activities as it increases the prospect of getting caught.

Hope this helps.

RR
<<

jimbob

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:11 am

sayonara.yoga wrote:hi all

If you strongly suspect an employee is sending confidential information out from the company to a third party then you need so seek legal council. If your company has a legal department speak to them and see what action you can take. You need to determine if it is legal for you to monitor their activities at all before you begin.

If the situation is serious enough consider bringing in an outside expert in computer forensics to assist with the investigation.

Jimbob
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:24 am

I agree that if an employee is doing this, there are some technical as well as non-technical steps to now take. Talk to management to see how they want to proceed.

In the future, I would consider putting in a Data Loss Prevention product like Vontu or Vericept to look at the data before allowing it to go outside of your organization.

Hope this helps,
Don

PS - A couple pieces of advice. All caps in text communications means you are yelling. I'm sure that's not what you meant. Secondly, asking how to hack gmail will get the wrong reaction (as you saw) from our community. Stating it as a professional issue clearly got you more info.
Last edited by don on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:40 pm

As stated earlier... what you're describing isn't really going to garner a great response, unless you articulated a bit better on what you were after. 

#1)  What country are you in?  Your English appeared rather... strained.  That can affect the legal ramifications.  If you are in Russia... or Cuba... the policies may well be different than the USA or UK.  IE.. what policies.

#2)  IF you are in a country that has laws on such things, it is quite possible you will have to have a written permission signed by employees that their internet usage can and will be monitored.  If you do not have that, you are heading for a world of hurt in court.  If you are in the US, it can amount to fines, and quite possibly "burrito in the bum" lovin time with a prison life partner.  Or at least couple month partner.

#3)  Also, if it is your server... and these are your laptops/computers... on your LAN.. in your company... why don't you just install a keylogger?  Either hardware or software?  It is not only easier than learning to sniff Gmail passwords... it is also looks better in a court case than digging around inside peoples personal email accounts.  Catch the drift? 
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

Artful Dodger

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:47 pm

There are so many levels of problems here.  If this is the case, it is still not legal to break someones personal email account.  You cant take thier password and rummage through thier account. 

but you can examine the computer.  This is done every day.  Just get a forensic examiner to check it out.  With encase you can peice together a bunch of interesting things like webmail pages.  Plus, if it turns into litigation, you stealing a password isnot going to help matters.
CISSP, C|HFI, Security+, Network+, XYZ...blah.
<<

geekyone

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:26 pm

g00d_4sh wrote:
#3)  Also, if it is your server... and these are your laptops/computers... on your LAN.. in your company... why don't you just install a keylogger?  Either hardware or software?  It is not only easier than learning to sniff Gmail passwords... it is also looks better in a court case than digging around inside peoples personal email accounts.  Catch the drift? 

From a technical standpoint (I think the legal/ethical has already been covered) Good_4sh's advice is your best option.  Once you have the "smoking gun" evidence from the keylogger you can collect the employees hard drive for forensic analysis. 

If you aren't interested in punitive action (fire/arrest employee) then I wouldn't even bother.  Just block access to all web mail accounts and that should discourage this from happening in the future.  A lot of companies don't allow access to Web Mail as a standard practice.  Good Luck!
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:06 pm

Digging around peoples personal email accounts.. even if they are checking them from YOUR offices... is a bad bad idea from a legal stand point.  Recording what they type ironically is much much less difficult to explain, and fairly easy if you have pre-existing policies signed by the said employees.  So, if you are indeed an admin of an office... careful where you dig.  If you're using that as an excuse to try and dig into peoples private email boxes, and arn't being told to do this for a business... get ready for Bubba's lovin.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

Efferri

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:28 pm

Keylog the suspected user's terminal.  This will eliminate any legal issues (I am assuming the terminal and IT equipment is owned by the company)... Keylogging will also eliminate encryption as an obstacle.

Plus, if you AREN'T who you say you are, it will be a little more difficult to install a keylogger and have logs sent to you remotely. Problem Solved.

~Efferri
<<

RoleReversal

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:53 am

Efferri wrote:This will eliminate any legal issues

You sure? Personally I'd check with my legal department. This may not be universally true.
Next

Return to Network Pen Testing