Virus Software

<<

millwalll

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:08 am

Virus Software

Hi all,

I wanted people's option on viruse software, with so many out there what one is the best ? does it matter if its free or you pay  for it ? at the moment I use AVG. I never had any problems with it but I do get people saying well its free so its crap. I just wanted other people option on what viruse software they think is best.
<<

jimbob

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:37 am

Re: Virus Software

Any antivirus product is better than none and I certainly don't buy the, "It's free so it's crap" argument. I've used AVG and Avast in the past and am happy with both. Signature coverage between products varies and what's hot today might not be so much in a year's time.

For personal PCs I'd recommend the free products, especially if an attached price tag makes you think twice. Like I say something is better than nothing. Antivirus should be backed up by a good personal firewall since this will provide better threat coverage than AV alone.

Jimbob
<<

millwalll

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:27 am

I agree I mean I have had AVG for many years and never had any problems with it.
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:56 am

I have used AVG for years and I upgraded from the free version to the paid version to support them. AVG has not let me down yet but I also understand no one vendors product will 100% secure you.

Brian
aka Slimjim100
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

shakuni

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:37 pm

Your argument that you've been using "X" AV for so many years and you haven't had any problems, that is, you didn't had any virus or any other malicious program in your system is inherently flawed. May be your AV didn't catch many malware and since it didn't detect them, it didn't reported to you and so that you thought that there is no problem with your computer. So, don't consider yourself secure just because your AV didn't report any problems.
Got my point ?
There is no rule, law or tradition that apply universally... including this one.
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:13 pm

I doubt their line of reasoning was that simplistic Shakuni.  I also use AVG, and at times Clam AV, and though I have come accross a few viruses that elluded both, generally they nail just about anything I see.  I have AVG running all the time, with Clam when I want to do a "second opinion" check.  I also run anti-spyware/root kit (both free) and I use either Comodo or Zonealarm personal firewalls.  It is a decent point to remember that just because something doesn't see something, that it isn't there though.  If that was the case, NO av would be the best. ;)  Honestly though... keep your machine clean.. and keep an image of it around on another machine.  For my machine that I play around with... I have an image of it with all the updated programs... and I re-image it every once in a while to ensure I have no sneaky little viruses or root kits.  I think that's my favorite method...
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:20 pm

shakuni,

inherently flawed???

I just gave my option and just because I said I used this software and did not have problems does not me I was 100% secure and I think just about everyone here knows this... The original poster was asking about peoples opinion on AV software.

Yes we all know if a computer is turned on it's possibly vulnerable to many security risks...

Sorry to reply in a flame like manor but the whole "got my point?" thing just rubbed me wrong.

Brian
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:26 pm

I kind of caught the same drift SlimJim100, which is why I posted in a 'man in the middle' sort of diplomatic way.  Or at least tried to heh.  I was't sure if his comment was for you specifically, or for millwalll... the other reason I didn't say too much.  None the less, most people who come to this site understand the basics of computer security mentality and AV functionality.  IE, signature based av is going the way of the dodo, and the head in the sand technique doesn't help. 

And for the original poster:

AVG = Groovy
Clam AV = groovy
Zonealarm = decent
Comodo firewall = nice.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

shakuni

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:39 pm

I'm sorry slimjim100 if it offended you, it was not meant to be for you.
I was just pointing out the general notion of people that since their AV and firewall are not giving alerts, it means that their systems are safe. It is obviously flawed.
There is no rule, law or tradition that apply universally... including this one.
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:03 pm

It's all good sorry to flame I just took the post the wrong way.

Cheers,

Brian
<<

apollo

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:17 pm

From the standpoint of what seems to be catching the emerging threats, I'd have to go with AVG but for a slightly different reason.  When we've been seeing infections that occur within a few days of a 0-day, AVG has been what we've used to triage them.  Our major commercial anti-virus I've been less than pleased with lately as it hasn't detected many of the variants as they come out.  When I find new stuff, the first place I head to is virustotal.com and see what picks it up before I start submitting to our av vendors (we have a few levels of av), and AVG seems to almost always have defs out which detect it.  Clam seems to pick up less than AVG, but seems to have better integration with other products if you aren't using windows.  On a side note, if you think something is a virus, chuck it at virustotal.com and see what comes back.  Also, if you are having to deal with triage work, check out http://trinityhome.org/Home/blog.php?front_id=15 .  It's a neat distro with 3 different AV's on there including AVG free, and so far when we've had windows boxes that we've had a hard time cleaning, trinity kicked their butt.
CISSP, CSSLP, MCSE+Security, MCTS, CCSP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCWN, NOP, OSCP, Security+
<<

humv

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:30 pm

Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth.  I've used multiple AV software in the passed some free some not free.  I've used McAfee, AVG, BitDefender, Symantec.  Have read this post I agree with the fact that any AV software is better than none at all.  Well, as I said there is my 2 cents.

humv
Certifications: EETN, CCNA, GCFW, GAWN, GCFA, GPEN, GCIA, GCWN
<<

jason

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:48 pm

I'd definitely say Clam on Linux. Or for that matter, just Linux ;D
<<

divine

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:15 pm

jason wrote:I'd definitely say Clam on Linux. Or for that matter, just Linux ;D

+1 or Mac for that matter ;)

As far as AV products, there is a great online stats site that keeps current coverage statistics for most popular AV Vendors... Check it out man...

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/e ... 008_05.php
-Jordan
CEPT, CREA, C|EH, MCSE:Security (too many others that I don't care about to list)

Return to Opinions