Tools/techniques for testing an IDS

<<

narfice

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:40 am

Tools/techniques for testing an IDS

Hi All!

New to EH and actually performing hacks/attempting intrusions, but been an interested bystander to the culture/industry for years  :).

(One of) my roles at work is maintaining firewalls, IDSs and monitoring the functioning of each.

Prior to deployment, I've tested my IDS (snort) with basic nmap scans, to ensure it is receiving and watching traffic, and generating alerts. When deployed, however, the firewall blocks all traffic except http and https - ie nmap scans barely get through to the target, so basic tests are blocked (which in itself is good  ;) ).

This is where I'm looking to the collective expertise here - I want to know what pen tests, hacks, scripts, tools (anything anyone would think is suitable) would be able to give snort a bit of a work-over in a deployment situation. They don't have to be stealthy - something 'noisy' likely to trigger a snort alert would be great to start with. Following that, stealthy attacks are also good. It's not so much bleeding edge, as old, noisy, or recognisable to an IDS.

Please feel free to suggest stuff not specifically for http/port 80 - am sure they'll be useful to someone too.

Many thanks,
narf
<<

sil

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:41 am

Re: Tools/techniques for testing an IDS

Testing an IDS is a strange matter since in this case, what you're testing for are "known knowns" and nothing more. These "known knowns" are nothing more than signatures cobbled together to alert you of "an event." But what happens when someone is firing off "unknowns", attacks that don't have a signature. This is what you'd want to test for, the alerting capabilities of attacks you're not aware of. This is a complicated task to pull of and if you could do it, you could likely patent the technique/method and make some money. Anyhow, there are two routes (attack vectors) to think about. An attacker attacking what's BEHIND the IDS and an attacker attacking the IDS it

Attacking against the signatures can be done with a variety of tools so I'll start with the de-facto Metasploit. Using Metasploit, you can try the following:

Code:

-----      ---- HostA
                         |     |    |
                         |     |    |
Attacker 10.10.10.1 ---> | IDS | -------- HostB
                         |     |    |
                         |     |    |
                          -----      ---- HostC

Place an attacker in what you're mimicking to be "the Internet" or a place outside of the IDS and pick a host - preferably this host would be say a VMWare image. Using Metasploit on the Attacker machine, fire off a barrage of tests aimed at it. The goal is to see what Snort can and can't see.

In the same fashion, configure Metasploit to act as a server for a client side attack. E.g. try the Aurora attack and configure Metasploit to "own" via client side say HostA and analyze the results. Did it see it, what *DOES* it see, can you counter it.

---/ Enter the real world

Because a machine can never think like an attacker, the "testing" space would become too broad for you to continuously pound at Snort. You could NEVER control what someone is trying to put IN. You *CAN* control what goes out though and this is where too many people get it wrong. Terms of the day, Input Validation, Output Validation. These commonly used terms are generally thrown in the realm of web application security and here too is where they miserably fail...

Quotes from OWASP:

Input validation refers to the process of validating all the input to an application before using it.

Output validation refers to the process of validating the output of a process before it is sent to some recepient

Which do you think is more crucial? If you answered Input validation you're wrong. If you think they're equally valid, you're wrong. With Input Validation, you're trying to assume you will figure out every single INPUT potential someone can fire off at you. So let's to some logical math here rounded to 10's to make it clean. On the Internet, at any given point in time, how many connections do you think you would see to any of your machine. Couple hundred, couple of thousand? How many different ways do you think you could think for someone else? If you answered anything above 0 you're wrong.

Input validation goes with the theory that "this is a form. Someone should enter a number into this form. I will make sure only numbers are entered." You script your code to solely allow 0's. See the failure here? Just because you scripted your code, doesn't mean another layer is scripted equally. So someone tampers with say the presentation or session layer, you scripted your recipe at the application layer. Now what?

Output validation is the opposite. "This is a webserver that returns a webpage with a date." So you script your code to ONLY print out dates. The control is more granular here. You KNOW what it is that YOU want the recipient to see. You can do MUCH MORE here than you can thinking you're going to do something to stop someone from firing away. The math?

Input Validation = N * A = F
Output Validation = N * A = F

N = Number of attackers
A = Attacks launched
F = Event alerts being fired at you

With Input Validation how long before you've created a set of Frankenstein signatures and variances of those. SN would be phenomenally high versus OUTPUT validation where the signature is lower and more managable. Not only that, but what is LEAVING holds more weight than what is COMING in. You CAN'T and will NEVER be able to control the garbage on the Internet but you CAN control what is LEAVING your network. The attack and signature space is smaller.

Input Validation - 100(N) * 100(A) = 10,000(F)
Output Validation - 100(N) * 100(A) = 1(F)

Here we assume you will see say 100 random attackers trying 100 random attacks. Which is more important to you? Getting 10,000 alerts you will learn to ignore or ONE alert that holds weight? "What the hell is he talking about 1(F)!?" 1(F) from the OUTPUT validation side means you don't care to see what is coming in, you want to make sure that if your server - the one you configured to show 0 spits OUT anything other than 0 in this case, your server sent a 1, this IS mission critical because it wasn't supposed to do that. Anything else, doesn't truly matter.

With this all said, I will go back to tools now. Another tool you could use to test is Sneeze. Sneeze uses Snort's own signatures to overwhelm the IDS. Let's think about that concept and why its a useless test tool for IDS. Using V is for Vendetta as an example, imagine having a network full of people in "V" masks all lurking around. Who would you look at, what would you see?

Because Sneeze is using Snort against itself, there is nothing to stop me from generating and firing off thousands of spoofed alerts at you, getting lost amongst those alerts and getting in. With Sneeze you could create a script to do just that and ease your way in undetected but what have you really accomplished? Imagine again, just like V is for Vendetta, thousands of people with the same mask (attacks) walking in a courtyard (your network) with one actually prying the door hidden amongst the others.

http://www.securiteam.com/tools/5DP0T0AB5G.html

Hope that didn't confuse
<<

narfice

Post Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:52 am

Re: Tools/techniques for testing an IDS

Hi Sil

Thanks for the response - it raises a number of points to ponder on my side, certainly.
I'll try sneeze out, and try poke around fringes of what snort detects from metasploit. While you are indeed right about "testing for known knowns", it's the first step in what I hope will be a sufficiently robust security cordon, after which I can start testing possible known unknowns.

I am already watching both the input and output of the network, but with the same tool - will ponder how to watch the outgoing traffic more effectively.

narf

Return to Network Pen Testing