what do you prefer???

<<

pjayes

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:39 pm

what do you prefer???

im just curious as to what people prefer to use; command line or GUI
i know some programs olny offer 1 user interface, but with programs like nmap  which offers both, what would you rather use? i would take a command prompt over a gui anyday of the week.
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:47 pm

Re: what do you prefer???

Command Line most of the time.  It runs faster, and generally takes less time once you're used to it.  If I'm feeling lazy though, and just want to sit back and point/click while I watch a movie, I'll do GUI.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

Negrita

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:28 pm

Both. CLI is usually much more powerful and gives greater control. However sometimes it is much faster and more convenient and efficient to do certain things via the GUI.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

geekyone

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:42 pm

Command line unless I don't have a choice.  I hate GUI's that make me search to find all the options that I want.  Give me a man command with all my options laid out before me any day.
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:34 am

Depends what I'm doing.

If I'm 'working' I try to stick to CLI, makes simple things look harder and more 1337 so the boss will keep paying the cheques ;)

GUI's can be good when feeling lazy or playing with a new tool as it is often easier to find different switches/features than my scrolling through a few hundred lines of man output looking for 'interesting' options.
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:16 pm

I agree... CLI is just more cool.  But when I'm watching Hockey... a movie.. or 'listening' to my GF, GUI is easier.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

Kev

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:49 am

Hackers in the past have always been command line for 3 reasons. Linux didn't support GUI early on and if you have hacked a box and have gained a shell, well then of course its all "command line" , command line meaning typed commands as opposed to point and click. Also, certain apps like Nmap allow faster and easier customizing of commands with the command line.

Return to Network Pen Testing