What way to go

<<

mighty thor

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:08 pm

What way to go

I have been in the computer field for over 10 yrs now. Been doing Tier 1 support and tier 2  for computer and network issues.  I am getting my CCNA, but also want to get into security. I work for company managing a small network and doing Tier 1 support. Should I pursue an SSCP or CEH? What would be the best route. Is CEH diffucult to get?  I am beginner
Last edited by mighty thor on Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

pjayes

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: What way to go

I think the comp TIA security+ and net+ is really good. as well a fundemental understanding of linux
<<

Dengar13

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:08 pm

pjayes wrote:I think the comp TIA security+ and net+ is really good. as well a fundemental understanding of linux

110% agreed.
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

apollo

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:22 pm

You mention that you are at the beginner level for security things, so I will deviate a little bit and say that you should probably get certifications in the areas of security that you aren't as familiar with at first.  If you have 10 years with windows, start studying and working towards a certification in something you aren't as familiar with before going for CEH or any of the pen testing certifications.  Shoot for the RHCT or an LPI certification and get yourself more familiar with a *nix environment as a lot of the certifications ask you a lot of questions that you will mostly know the answers to if you are pretty comfortable in *nix.  From there, the Security+ is more heavily focused on the technical side of things and will get you a little deeper, once you are comfortable there, I'll again deviate and say that one of Ed Skoudis's SANS classes isn't a bad way to go.  I've taken 2 courses from him, and I felt like I definitely knew a lot more leaving than I did going in.  At that point, you should know enough to figure out what direction you want to take, whether it's going to be corporate security, pen testing, consulting or something completely different. 

Hope this helps.
CISSP, CSSLP, MCSE+Security, MCTS, CCSP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCWN, NOP, OSCP, Security+

Return to General Certification