In Need of Some Advice...

<<

KrisTeason

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:24 pm

In Need of Some Advice...

Sup Everyone,

I'm kind of stuck on a decision on what I'd like to do for a career. I just graduated high school yesterday (Wooh!), and I've always wanted to go into Computer Science. Information Security has always been like an alternate field for me to want to go into. I've always been into programming and have a higher grasp of knowledge in the area. About a week or so ago, I scheduled a walk in appointment to ITT Tech and got word that they've discontinued their software engineering program. Instead they broke up their programming courses into their Computer Network Systems program. Thing is I have no interest in this program at all because they teach minor programming in it. I could go to the community college in my area but I've heard from alot of people the computer science teachers are slow and it wouldn't be too hands on (That's kinda why I wanted a trade school like ITT). I guess what I'm asking you guys is, should I start ITT Tech this summer going into ISS or should I wait around til the fall comes to look into seeing if they Re-Open up their Software Engineering program. It'd be good for you guys to offer some insight by letting me know if the security field is larger then the programming field (I've always thought there have been more InfoSec People then Programmers, so if I got a degree in Computer Science, I may be able to find a job easier). I also heard from my programming teacher in high school that it'd be easier to go into information security if you had a good experiance on programming, so I figured I'd go for a BS In Computer Science and then attempt to go into Penetration Testing. I was also told that the main school that focuses on programming is "Neumont" which is way too far away from me. Can someone throw me some good advice on a good tech college, maybe share their personal insight on their college experiance in doing programming / security. thanks for your responses in advanced.

KrisTeson
Last edited by KrisTeason on Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:42 pm

Re: In Need of Some Advice...

I'm going to let someone that went to school take a shot at this one first. Plus I think I need to re-read your post to make sure I got it all ;) ... and I'm about to head out.

I will say this though... what turned me away from ITT when I considered going to school there, was the $83,000 tuition for a bachelors degree.

Oh, and congrats on graduating! :)
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:42 pm

Hey Kris,

Congrats on your HS graduation. Is it too late or do you have no desire to go to a full four-year university?

As for deciding on a major, I'm not really the one to ask. I was never great at deciding what I wanted to be when I grew up. That being said, I know that many people get a degree in 'something' and then get a job in 'something else.' What I would do is decide where you want to go, and then find out what different programs are offered. They may have similar core curriculum, and this will buy you time to figure out if you need to change majors/programs or not.

Let see how others answer, and we'll continue the conversation.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

KrisTeason

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:47 pm

Thanks BillV and Don, Yeah it's a little too late for me to do a 4 Year school because I just took what was required in high school. Yeah, it's pretty high for the bachelors, $76,000 over here but money's not exactly an issue (Got good grandparents. ;)) If I were to attempt to go 2 a 4 year, I'd have to go to that community college and take all those years of math a missed out on and science, ect & I'm honestly not looking foward to that. I'm looking for a school that's pretty much hands on.
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:54 pm

When I had started going back to school.. I pondered going for ITT Tech.  Then I met an ITT Tech... who didn't know jack.  That said, you can meet people from any school who somehow get through and don't know jack.  But, when it was simple computer stuff, and he was clueless... and falling behind in a community college A+ course... I wasn't impressed.  The guy had been kicked from ITT for beating up a kid in the parking lot.. and obviously had anger issues, but the fact that he was a couple months away from graduating ITT tech.. and didn't know a thing kind of turned me off.  That and I talked with another friend of mine who's doing similar studies to myself, and he told me horror stories of his father's company hiring ITT techs and them not knowing jack.  He said they liken it to a quick/dirty tech factory, that pumps out cheap but quickly produced workers.  

What I decided to do was go for a BS in Computer Science, and take all my certs along the way.  The school I'm at has Network +, A+, Linux +, CCNA, a couple M$ certs, and other 'prep' classes as requirements for the degree.  Hense, you get your cert training... and the degree all at once.  That's what I am doing, and it is in no way right for everyone I suppose (hard as hell when doing full time work too), but it has potential for me.  
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:57 pm

In place before my BS, I've grabbed an AA in Technical Support, and another in Networking and Computing systems.  I'd say even if you can't go straight to a 4 year university... some community college time isn't terrible if it's a good technical college.  I'm lucky enough to have a good number of my teachers be tech company starters, ex M$ employees, and programers.  (Love the Seattle area).  Definately cheaper than ITT... though work pays for it all anyway.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

KrisTeason

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Thanks for the info...you just killed my dream of going to that college...just joking...I was thinking about going for some certs as well.
<<

pjayes

Post Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:05 pm

hey Kris, i am currently in a network design and security program at clark university, its a great program, the whole thing is hands on with a ton of labs. i was never really good at listening to teachers lecture for 8 hours a day. I need to do it to really learn and understand it. If thats the way you are i highly recommend a tech program to meet your needs. I think clark sold some of there campus to A.I.C. but the program remains the same, you even get linux configuration and administion classes, as well as the classes for security+, and MCSA,MCSE, linux+ and a handfull of others. I think in this field, the certs are more important then the degrees, i could be totally wrong on that though and im sure getting both doesnt hurt you at all.

Good luck

pjayes
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:24 am

kk, I'll look into the college, by the way, I know what you mean on the boring 8 hour a day lectures. Thanks.

Return to Programming