[Article]-Ed Skoudis and the Pen Testing Factory

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu May 29, 2008 5:16 pm

[Article]-Ed Skoudis and the Pen Testing Factory

This took a while, but I wanted to make sure it had just the right amount of kick. I hope you like it.

Link to full review:[Article]-Ed Skoudis & the Pen Testing Factory
“Inside this [class]room, all of my dreams become realities;
and some of my realities become dreams.”

Student: Ed Skoudis's opening his factory. He's gonna let people in!
Teacher: You sure?
Student: It's all over the net, and he's giving truckloads of ethical hacking secrets away.
Teacher: Class dismissed.
Student: No, no. The first one's only for 25 people.
Teacher: Class undismissed.
Student: He's making available 25 golden tickets, and the people who buy them will win the big prize.
Teacher: Where's he hidden the tickets?
Student: They’re not really hidden. They’re inside SANS Events. You have to buy SANS courses to get them.
Teacher: Class re-dismissed.

The terms “Ethical Hacking” and “Ethical Hacker” have now become accepted industry terms. But many companies and government agencies were hesitant to support a credential with the word “hacker” in it. There have been many factors leading to the acceptance of ethical hacking such as:

* Regulations such as HIPAA, SOX, GLBA and numerous others.
* PCI DSS Section 11 and its clarification differentiating penetration testing from vulnerability assessment.
* Many courses and certifications using the term in their titles and official descriptions.
* Cisco Press, the Dummies Series and a plethora of book titles are beginning to use the positive connotation of the word hacking. Even Webster’s New World Dictionary has an edition specifically dedicated to hacking.
* A groundswell of professionals using the phrase and showing great interest in this new and maturing field.

Now add to this grass roots movement, a push by one of the most respected names in security training, SANS. The SANS Institute has long been known as a big player in the government sector. And one of its heavy hitters, who has even testified in front of Congress, Ed Skoudis, is the author of a new course with the exact phrase in its title. All of this validates what many of us had hoped for years. Hacking for a living is now a respected profession.

Let me know what you think or make recommendations on other courses you feel I should review.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri May 30, 2008 7:55 am

Re: [Article]-Ed Skoudis and the Pen Testing Factory

Don,

I've just managed to get through the end of this article (been at it for 4hours, work can be a pain at times). Thanks for the right up, made good reading for those of us planning and saving for similiar courses.

Sounds like you had a great week.
<<

venom77

Post Fri May 30, 2008 8:04 am

Wow! One hell of a review, Don. Nicely done.

I hadn't heard Ed teach prior to the recent webcasts he has been doing with Core, but after listening to those I've been even more amazed at his knowledge and ability to teach that knowledge. He is definitely at the the top of the game, no doubt about that. Counter Hack Reloaded was a great book and had me pulled in from chapter 1, but it's a whole different experience getting to listen to him live. As you've put in your review, he's quite enthusiastic. The class sounds incredible and hopefully I'll get an opportunity to take it while Ed is still the instructor.

Thanks for the write-up :)

BillV

... oh, and neat tie-in with Willy Wonka ;)

edit: almost forgot, the links to 'metasploit' and 'fgdump' at the end of the article aren't linked correctly.. they blend in with the tools below
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri May 30, 2008 8:41 am

Thanks for the compliments.

The links at the bottom have been fixed.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

bubba

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:02 pm

Great review, Don! (ok, I'm biased; I was in the class and on your team  ;D)  I can't say enough about how great an instructor and all round great mentor Ed is.   Hopefully folks will see your review and have to see for themselves.  Any class taught by him is well worth the money. 

Hopefully ChicagoCon went well; sorry I couldn't make it.  Good luck and continued success with the site and further quality reviews.

Brian
Last edited by bubba on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CISSP, CCSP, GPEN
<<

humv

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:04 am

I'm currently on the SANS 560 @Home.  You don't even have to be in a classroom with ed to feel his energy.  He has such enthusiasum for this stuff.  He really knows his stuff, questions keep flying at him and he doesn't even hesitate for a second to answer them.  Well keep up the great work don and thanks for the site.
Certifications: EETN, CCNA, GCFW, GAWN, GCFA, GPEN, GCIA, GCWN

Return to Editor-In-Chief