Is one better then the other

<<

pjayes

Post Wed May 28, 2008 1:30 pm

Is one better then the other

is there one type of programming that anyone would suggest learning over another one, i am starting to learn c++ and i am trying to teach myself java,
is one better to know then another, and if you learn one is it easy to pick up the other ones.

Thanks
pjayes
<<

oneeyedcarmen

Post Wed May 28, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Is one better then the other

[quote=pjayes]i couldnt figure out how to start a new thread, i will be honest, i did not try that hard, i will figure it out.
Thanks alot
pjayes[/quote]

See, you figured it out!  ;D

As for your question, I can only speak for myself.  I know that it would behoove me to learn C/C++, but honestly it was a bit over my head.  So I started with HTML, and am now learning Perl (been teaching myself off and on for a few years now it seems).

Some others have told me when I asked the same question to start with the hardest stuff, that way the easy stuff will be REALLY easy.  But even though I'm a pretty smart guy, it wasn't going to work that way for me.
Reluctant CISSP, Certified ASS
<<

shakuni

Post Wed May 28, 2008 4:07 pm

is there one type of programming that anyone would suggest learning over another one, i am starting to learn c++ and i am trying to teach myself java,
is one better to know then another, and if you learn one is it easy to pick up the other ones.

java and C++ both use Object Oriented Programming Paradigm.
Which one of them is better depends on the situation. Both have their pros and cons. But IMHO you should first learn C++. After this, you'll be able to master java in a few weeks.
There is no rule, law or tradition that apply universally... including this one.
<<

Kev

Post Wed May 28, 2008 4:25 pm

oneeyedcarmen wrote:[quote=pjayes]i couldnt figure out how to start a new thread, i will be honest, i did not try that hard, i will figure it out.
Thanks alot
pjayes

See, you figured it out!  ;D

As for your question, I can only speak for myself.  I know that it would behoove me to learn C/C++, but honestly it was a bit over my head.  So I started with HTML, and am now learning Perl (been teaching myself off and on for a few years now it seems).

Some others have told me when I asked the same question to start with the hardest stuff, that way the easy stuff will be REALLY easy.  But even though I'm a pretty smart guy, it wasn't going to work that way for me.
[/quote]

Having taught others programming I have to say there are always exceptions to the rule. Some peoples heads seem to just have a natural gift for understanding programming so starting off with languages like C isnt really a problem. You will find any skill can be like this. For instance some people just pick up playing the piano without much effort. But then there are the vast majority that dont fit that category. They need to take the baby step approach and retrain the way their mind works. In my experience the approach oneeyedcarmen is taking is really the best for most people and will produce faster results.
Last edited by Kev on Wed May 28, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Programming