15-Year-Old Steals Data on 55,000 People in School District Hack

<<

oneeyedcarmen

Post Fri May 23, 2008 1:11 pm

15-Year-Old Steals Data on 55,000 People in School District Hack

Kids these days!  ::)

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=154709

The student, who attends the county’s Downingtown West High School, reportedly used a flash drive to siphon off the names, addresses, and Social Security numbers of around 15,000 students and school employees and members of the community. According to the Downingtown Area School District, the student used a classroom computer during study hall time to illegally access the information, and later shared it with another student.

Reluctant CISSP, Certified ASS
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri May 23, 2008 7:37 pm

Re: 15-Year-Old Steals Data on 55,000 People in School District Hack

yes, the problem is the kid and NOT the fact that he had access to that data from the study hall computer.

the complete lack of details to the "hack" make me think he just copied it out of a network share.

jackasses.
<<

venom77

Post Fri May 23, 2008 7:55 pm

ChrisG wrote:the complete lack of details to the "hack" make me think he just copied it out of a network share.

Yup, same thoughts.... there was a good line towards the end of that article that grabbed my attention too... gotta grab it..

edit:
the school district says it’s taking measures to better lock down its Central Office server, including further limiting user access and eliminating generic log-in permissions

They said they had a breach in December, and now this is the second thing that has happened within a few months of each other. And they're just *now* getting around to "limiting user access and eliminating generic log-in permissions" .... who taught these guys? No principle of least-privilege? Come on....
Last edited by venom77 on Fri May 23, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri May 23, 2008 8:05 pm

<<

venom77

Post Fri May 23, 2008 8:11 pm

ChrisG wrote:blogged it, couldn't resist

Haha.. nice write-up.. favorite line: "A better question is why a database of names, addresses and social security numbers is sitting unencrypted on a network share."
<<

Dengar13

Post Sat May 24, 2008 8:10 pm

Very good blog.  I must say (not to sound rude) that you get what you pay for.  I know that in PA (where I live) that IT pros in the education arena don't get paid too well.  It is a union-like environment, and the pay isn't competetive at all.  This results in less seasoned candidates that apply, and more entry-level people who are hungry, but not necessarily having the ideal skills to handle this job.  My buddy was like a one-man show at the school (PA) where he worked at for 7 years, and only got paid 45k...not too much at all IMO.  He doesn't have a whole lot of IT security knowledge (common sense though as it pertains to this breach), but God bless him, he did his best to stay afloat.  With that said, he left for greener pastures and can concentrate on the Windows/system admin side for more money, and less hassle.

Also, schools do not have much of a budget for IT, and the people who head the school boards, and ultimately the decison makers have little to no clue on what they need to have an up-to-par IT infrastructure.
Last edited by Dengar13 on Sat May 24, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

LSOChris

Post Sat May 24, 2008 9:37 pm

Dengar13 wrote:Also, schools do not have much of a budget for IT, and the people who head the school boards, and ultimately the decison makers have little to no clue on what they need to have an up-to-par IT infrastructure.

maybe a fat ass lawsuit can fix that up, at least for that school district.

Return to News from the Outside World