self study

<<

pjayes

Post Mon May 19, 2008 8:25 am

self study

Hello everyone, i am new to this site and wanted some feedback, First i think this is a great site with lots of good info, anyway im enrolled in a network and security design program at clark university, im starting my own company and money is pretty tight at the moment, i dont have the cash at the moment to pay for anymore courses, can the secruity certs be passed through self studying and a ton of reading, The A+ net+ and linux + seemed fairly easy, i will be getting my comptia security +, as far as the other exams, does anyone have any advice on the best way to be prepared.

Thanks
Patrick
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon May 19, 2008 1:12 pm

Re: self study

Welcome to EH-Net and thanks for the compliment on the site.

All certs can be attained through self-study (unless of course they don't offer that option). Some people prefer self-study while others don't. People are just different. If you put your mind to it and are disciplined, then without a doubt, it can be done.

Sometimes it's hard to focus with work, kids, distractions of every day life and flat out procrastination. A boot camp helps you focus and has the exam(s) scheduled, so you can't change it. With self-study, one is always tempted to put it off until you know the material a little better. First of all, you may never know the material better and sh!t happens that may force you to quit your studies. A lot never get back to it.

As with most things in life, it's up to you.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

pjayes

Post Mon May 19, 2008 2:01 pm

Thank you very much, i am very determined and i find this field absolutely facinating and have a desire to know everything i can about every aspect of it.

Thanks again
Pjayes
<<

humv

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:35 pm

When I first got into this line of work I self studied my A+ and my MCSE NT4 (that probably dated me).  I find that self study can be done as long as your dedicated to the material at hand.  I have been having a hard time lately because work keeps approving the courses I want to go on.  I know that's not really something to complain about.  I think I have to much of a thirst for knowledge (once again, could be a bad thing).  But as Don said anything can be done by self study as long as it's offered.  Good luck and study hard.
Certifications: EETN, CCNA, GCFW, GAWN, GCFA, GPEN, GCIA, GCWN
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:03 am

humv wrote:I have been having a hard time lately because work keeps approving the courses I want to go on.

Who do you work for? and how do I get a job?  ;D
<<

humv

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:16 am

I work for the public service in canada.  They are the best, well maybe just where i work.  My boss loves the fact that I'm getting into the security side of our world...  Not so much when I set off the intrusion detection on our ISA and he get a flood of e-mails from it..... ;D
Certifications: EETN, CCNA, GCFW, GAWN, GCFA, GPEN, GCIA, GCWN

Return to Opinions