OQO

<<

venom77

Post Mon May 12, 2008 10:47 pm

OQO

Has anyone heard of this? A friend just told me about it today after his brother-in-law purchased one.

I know we were all excited about that EeePC, but how about something even smaller with more power? How about a little bigger than a standard mouse or about the size of a cell phone?

The OQO is a full featured PC with a 1.6GHz processor, 1GB RAM, a 5" LCD screen, up to a 120GB HDD (or a 32 or 64 GB SSD), bluetooth, wireless (atheros), and ethernet. Comes with your choice of XP or Vista (or just wipe it and throw your favorite Linux on it as I'm sure most of us would do).

The price range varies depending on options, from $1,299 to $2,349. So far the biggest downside that I've noticed right away is that they say you cannot upgrade the RAM. Now, how much truth that has to it... I don't know, but I'd imagine it would require voiding a warranty ;)

Check out their website here
<<

RoleReversal

Post Tue May 13, 2008 9:20 am

Re: OQO

BillV,

looks like a nice device, but I think the price is the main appeal for the EeePC. OQO price is a little out of my budget at the minute but I'll keep it bookmarked for when I win the lottery ;) ,cheers.
<<

venom77

Post Tue May 13, 2008 9:37 am

RoleReversal wrote:BillV,

looks like a nice device, but I think the price is the main appeal for the EeePC. OQO price is a little out of my budget at the minute but I'll keep it bookmarked for when I win the lottery ;) ,cheers.

Agreed. I'll wait for the price to drop a little more. Pretty neat gadget though.
<<

jason

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:40 pm

If you can get by with lesser hardware specs (and linux), you could go with the Nokia N810.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N810
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:29 am

I have seen the OQO and I have to say it's nice but the price will get you, and the battery life is not the best. I would also say go with the Nokia but not the N810 since it only has 1 micro SD slot but get the N800. The N800 is the same as the 810 but dose not have a keyboard or GPS but it does come with (2) SD (Full size) slots that support up to (2) 16 Gig SDHC cards. I have one with (2) 8 GiG cards and it is too cool. It also takes a normal Nokia cell phone battery so you can get extra battery's cheap on e-bay for like $4.00. My N800 last for 4-7 hours with wifi and 8 hours just with music. I would highly recommend the N800 and you can use a bluetooth GPS and keyboard if you want. All in all I am very happy with the N800 and as a side note it is hackable and can run custom Linux distros and have a full open source community making all sorts of cool apps and tools for it!

my 2 cents

Brian

Aka Slimjim100
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

jason

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:06 am

There is also a new 810 coming out (out?) that has wimax. This would considerably increase its utility to me. I've been pondering getting one for a bit. I do agree that some of the hardware spec on the 800 are better though. I've also heard conflicting stories about the internal GPS on the 810. Some folks appear to have lots of problems with it.
<<

dalepearson

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:49 pm

It is a tasty bit of kit, but it sure does have a price tag to match, and due to its size I am not to sure how usable it would be in the real world, unless you can type quickly with chop sticks :D

There are so many of these Ultra Mobile Computers sprouting up to compete with the EEE. There is the MSI Wind, new Dell Inspiron Mini, I think HP have one too.

Personally, I have recently found the Acer Aspire One, and its been released in the UK in the next couple of weeks and it a bargain price. I have my eye on a blue one come release time.

You gotta love gadgets  :P
<<

jason

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:04 pm

Hrmm that Acer does look nice, good price too. Some pics over at engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/03/hands-on-acers-aspire-one-netbook/

Return to Other