15+ year IT vet with expert people skills ...

<<

ohtechwiz

Post Thu May 08, 2008 10:19 am

15+ year IT vet with expert people skills ...

I have over 15 years in IT doing everything from PC repair to server & network design/implementation. I am eager to get my feet wet in the security field preferably in the Seattle area. I just finished my 2 year degree in computer information systems and am testing for numerous certifications. Any suggestions on which certifications are best would be welcome.

ohtechwiz
<<

Dengar13

Post Thu May 08, 2008 11:21 am

Re: 15+ year IT vet with expert people skills ...

Welcome to the forum,

CompTIA certs are great ones to start out with as they are vendor neutral.  4 certs based on your experience/wants that come to my mind are:  A+. Network+, Server+, and Security+.  From there, it is really up to you.  You may have specialized experience in one product over another.  For example, if you have Linux based experience over MS, you would go for Linux based certs (no-brainer).  Why not finish off your degree and go for you Bachelors?  I just graduated on Saturday with mine, and am glad I did!  I hope this helps, but feel free to ask away here! 
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

ohtechwiz

Post Sun May 18, 2008 8:10 pm

Re: 15+ year IT vet with expert people skills ...

Thanks, that was what I was thinking, I am going to go for the Comptia certs first and I will be finishing my bachelor's part time. I can get through A+, Network+, & Server+ with a little cramming. Security+ needs a little more study. I am also prepped for an MCSA and CCNA. Right now my main focus is getting back to work so I can stop eating mac & cheese for a while.  ;)

Return to Looking For Work